Forty-two

𝙹𝚞𝚜𝚝 𝚠𝚊𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚍 𝚝𝚘 𝚜𝚊𝚢 𝚊 𝚋𝚒𝚐 𝚝𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚔 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚝𝚘 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚘𝚗𝚎 𝚠𝚑𝚘 𝚑𝚎𝚕𝚙𝚜 𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚘𝚛𝚢 𝚐𝚛𝚘𝚠, 𝚋𝚢 𝚜𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚒𝚝 𝚘𝚗 𝚘𝚝𝚑𝚎𝚛 𝚜𝚘𝚌𝚒𝚊𝚕 𝚖𝚎𝚍𝚒𝚊 <𝟹 𝙳𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚏𝚘𝚛𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚝𝚘 # 𝚠𝚙𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚘𝚗 𝚜𝚘 𝙸 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚜𝚎𝚎 𝚒𝚝!

______

James

I walked out of the car and towards the entrance to the warehouse. I had my handgun in my grip, ready to use it if the Russians decided to get aggressive. My men who followed me had more complicated weapons, AK-12 rifles, lifted in front of them as we made our way inside.

With my men behind me, I walked through the door and up the stairs. The first thing I saw when we entered the main room where we kept the goods, was Maxim Sokolov's back. Maxim was Lev's younger brother, who took the position as the boss after I killed Lev. He might not be too happy about that.

Opposite the Russians stood my men lined up, looking as relaxed as ever. Slightly unamused, though. When they heard us enter they turned around and Maxim's frown turned into an emotionless smile. I stopped a few meters in front of him, noticing that his men as well were heavily armed.

"Look what the cat dragged in."I mocked him, gesturing with both my hands towards him and his men. My men laughed behind me.

He chuckled lightly.

"Trust me, I would rather be anywhere else but here, Niccó." He claimed.

It had been a long time since I had seen Maxim. The last time we met was when he was fifteen. At that time my father ruled my family's cartel and we were good friends. That changed after my father died. Maxim and Lev's father started seeing us as a threat when I took over, that's when our drug business really took off and we ran past them. To take it simply, they got pissed. They had been keeping their distance for some years, disputes were something you did not want in the mafia, it was unnecessary.

I sighed.

"Why are you here, Maxim? Are you pissed because I killed your sad excuse of a Boss?" I said, not holding back the memory we both already knew had occurred.

"Lev was never a good leader, nor was he a good brother. He was everything I aspire not to be. But do you know what I do aspire to be, Nicco?" He began stepping closer slowly and my men all raised their weapons towards him. I gestured with my hand for them to hold back.

"A leader who doesn't allow people to screw him over."He continued, stopping in front of me."A leader who gets taken seriously." His voice had lowered, becoming deeper. I watched his face with a straight expression.

"Didn't your father and brother say that, Maxim?" I said."Actually, I believe that's what they mentioned right before I put a bullet between their eyes." I pushed him further, seeing if he would break at some point. But he stayed calm.

"I am not here to avenge them. But you," He lifted his finger towards me.", has something that I want. Or more accurately a someone." He smirked, linking his hands behind his back.

It was clear that he wanted to get his hands on Ava, I already knew that. It was a stupid decision to bring her here with me. I should have sent her home without me, to keep her away from Maxim. I had underestimated his attitude. He didn't seem as weak as his brother.