22. Journal Entry Ten of Learning

She was listening to Elvis

She was singing softly.

She was smiling.

She was swaying to the music.

She was enjoying herself.

I think I ruined it a little by announcing my presence, but it's not like I could just stand there like some sort of creep and wait until she noticed me.

Mom asked me to come and stay the night because she was alone, and I was more than happy to oblige.

Things in the house have been so hectic lately, with the wedding only two weeks away. I think there hasn't been a quiet moment for me to appreciate her as much as there was tonight.

She is so beautiful, Dad.

From the lines of concentration on her face when she's reading a document to the small smile that seems almost a reflex when she relaxes against the soft tones of 'Love Me Tender'.

There's this smile of hers, I've realized, that comes on only when she sees that I've brought her a new packet of M&Ms and it's become one of my favorite things in the world.

Probably why I keep taking them for her.

I can't look at a packet of M&Ms without smiling or thinking of her now.

Linc has caught me grinning at the vending machine at the hospital way too many times now.

He's begun to give me a strange look.

I'm sure he's going to ask next time.

Aurora, though, tells me that M&Ms aren't enough to buy her company.

Her price was making me play the piano for her.

How can I deny someone who asks me for such simple things, Dad?

While I played, she told me stories about herself that her mother would tell me.

Here are some of the things that I know;

1. She has expensive taste – which I'm beginning to doubt a bit with her penchant for candy floss, pier carnivals, M&Ms and McDonald's.

2. She is a picky eater – which she did prove in a sense, but I just think she has preferences

3. She is lazy – which I think is just a parent's way of chastising your relaxation. I know my own mother would say the same if I was just sitting somewhere on a day off

4. She loves chocolate Sundaes

5. She gets lost in her head sometimes