Part 43

He has a jagged scar running from his forehead to the bottom of his throat, and Conrad's eyes are glued to it as she frantically tries to place this man.

He's not the one who broke into Carlos' house, and she doesn't recognise him from any of the wanted or missing lists.

A sniff tells her that he's a rogue.

"Conrad Rosser. And little miss Sabrina Amaretti. Where is your father today, young lady?" He asks, peering at Sabrina.

Conrad pushes the child behind her, her grip tightening on the knife.

"He isn't here. He isn't with us," Conrad spits, pointing the knife at the man.

"Now, now. There's no need for violence," the man sing-songs, his group of men stepping closer. They all have guns of varying sizes, and they're trained directly on Conrad's head.

"You have guns pointed at us," Conrad retorts, and Sabrina whimpers quietly behind her.

"Oh, have we scared her? You wouldn't think much would scare her, what with her parentage and all that," the man chuckles, shaking his head.

"Is this about High Alpha Amaretti?" Conrad asks, trying to buy herself some time.

She's expecting to be shot any moment, but she needs to try and find an opening for Sabrina to escape.

"Well, it began about him, but we started looking into you, too. You're with him so much that we thought it would be good to see who you were, and what we found was most interesting," the man smiles.

It is a very pretty smile, to be fair to the man.

Goddess, he must have dental insurance, Jane mumbles.

Conrad stays silent, her mind racing.

She needs to get Sabrina out of here, but she doesn't even know where to send her.

She isn't a fighter, she's a tracker, and she won't survive against all of these men.

"I have a proposition for you. We want you to work with us," the man smirks, and Conrad furrows her brows, staring at him.

"I need to bring Sabrina home. If you want to talk about this seriously, I can't do it with her here," Conrad quickly responds.

The man scowls, tapping his foot impatiently.

Conrad knows his answer will depend on how serious the offer is and how desperate he and his merry band of criminals are.

Dad, call Carlos. Call the Council. Call anyone you can, Conrad quickly mindlinks to her father.

The cold metal of the butt of a gun hits her in the cheek, causing her to swear and stagger.

"No mindlinking," the man snaps.

"Okay. I won't mindlink anyone. I need to bring Sabrina home. Nobody will try to find me if I bring her home," Conrad urges, and the man is staring at her calculatingly.

"Fine. You can get your laptop there, too. It's cheaper for us if you use what you have," the man finally decides, "but you have to tell all security in the area surrounding the home to go far away."

Conrad nods eagerly.

"I will; I'll get rid of them all. We need to go to 146 Carlton Drive. I can leave her there," she nods.

On it. Alpha James is contacting the Council as we speak. Leave your tracking on, Silas orders.

When Conrad doesn't respond to him, he can feel his concern rising quickly, but he tries not to let it bother him. He knows Conrad is good at taking care of herself.