Part 44

"Okay. We don't have time to waste today. We need to send out another search team; he's somewhere in Capital territory still," Carlos barks, pacing along the raised area around his office.

Scarlet rolls her eyes and swings on her desk chair, shaking her head.

"He isn't, Boss. We spent the night searching, and there's no sign of him anywhere. We would have found him by now. He's probably made it back to his pack," she sighs.

The door opens, and a group of guards file in, all looking remarkably pale.

"There you all are," Carlos scowls, his eyes flashing as he storms towards the men.

They're visibly shaken, and one of them backs out of the line, his back hitting the door.

"How dare you abandon your charges. You are trained to stay by their sides at all times and never, NEVER, walk away," Carlos screams, his voice ringing around the office.

The interns weren't allowed in today.

Scarlet had been the one to tell them that this morning when she came back from her patrol and found the five cowering outside the quarters.

"We thought somebody was hurt. She's a Beta; she could protect them," one of the men speaks up, making eye contact with Carlos.

A growl escapes his lips.

His wolf is in the driver's seat, and he isn't taking any sort of disobedience or disrespect.

"She couldn't. She's a Beta, and she went up against a group of rogues. With my daughter beside her," Carlos snarls, his voice shaking with rage.

"Boss," Scarlett calls sharply, standing up from her seat.

Conrad has slipped into the quarters, the bruising on her cheek fully blooming.

The gun she was hit with was partially silver, so her wound is taking longer than usual to heal.

Carlos catches sight of her, and his shoulders immediately relax.

Sabrina is on the way back to school. She understands. I told her I would personally collect her next time she's coming home, Conrad links him, and he clenches his jaw.

Thank you, he responds, turning back to face the guards.

"Apologise," he demands, and the guards all straighten up.

"Sorry," the men all chorus.

"Not to me. To the Beta," Carlos hisses.

The men turn to face Conrad, who doesn't look very impressed.

She's usually forgiving, and she doesn't take much personally.

But she was plagued by nightmares and thoughts of what could have happened to her and Sabrina throughout the night, so she isn't feeling very kind.

"Sorry, Beta Rosser," the men quickly utter.

"It's fine," she mutters, looking over them.

"Is Rosser going with us to look?" Scarlet asks, and Carlos turns to her briefly.

"You're dismissed," he scowls in the direction of the guards, and Conrad has never seen grown men scuttle away so quickly.

"No, she isn't. She has to go to a convening of the Society," Carlos mutters to Scarlet, nodding to Conrad.

"Call my cell immediately if any information is found," Carlos announces to the quarters, and everyone present nods.

He has the bare minimum amount of people in the office; most people were sent into the field. If they could track even slightly, they were looking for his father.