Ch 28. End of Beginning ✨️

With meticulous care, Caroline stood before the antique mirror, delicately guiding the steamer over the folds of her Founders' Day parade gown

With meticulous care, Caroline stood before the antique mirror, delicately guiding the steamer over the folds of her Founders' Day parade gown. The rich powder blue and pale pink fabric billowed into an authentic 18th-century silhouette, complete with an intricately embroidered corseted bodice, sweeping ruffled hoop skirt, and romantic square neckline.

She had been planning this year's costume for months, scouring historical archives and sketching design ideas in the margins of her notebooks. When Caroline caught a glimpse of a gone with the wind-esque gown in an old Mystic Falls founders' portrait, she knew she had to recreate it down to the last ruffle and bow. Her vision would be the crown jewel of this year's parade float inspired by the beloved classic novel.

Caroline had commissioned the custom creation from a renowned seamstress in McKinney, ensuring every detail was picture-perfect, even though it put a considerable dent in her budget. Yet, when she first slipped into the dress and caught her reflection, she knew it was worth every penny.

The pale pink underskirt, with its delicate shirred trim, peeked out from beneath the blue-grey overskirt, accented by elaborate floral embroidery and delicate ruffle details. Caroline had spent countless hours examining the designs to ensure the seamstress captured the essence of her vision-a romantic gown plucked straight from the pages of her favorite novel, "Gone With The Wind."

A shrill ring from downstairs shattered Caroline's reverie. Carefully gathering the gown's voluminous skirts, she placed it gently on her bed and made her way to the front door, wondering who could be disturbing her at this hour.

"Coming!" she trilled, thinking it was just her mother, Liz, who had forgotten her keys again, though she was supposed to be at the sheriff's station, prepping for the day's security.

However, when Caroline pulled open the door, it wasn't her mother standing on the other side. Instead, a radiant grin spread across her face as she took in the gaggle of familiar faces-Noah, Alexis, Liam, Jacob, Samantha, and Jessica-her closest friends.

"Oh my god! You guys!" Caroline practically squealed, launching herself into a group hug amid a chorus of laughter and excited chatter. "What are you all doing here?"

"You didn't think we'd miss seeing you play princess for the day, did you?" Noah teased, taking in Caroline's excitement with an amused grin.

♤♤♤♤♤

The early morning sunlight filtered through the trees, casting a warm glow over Caroline's backyard where the group lounged. It was still pretty early, the sun just starting to rise. Noah, with his chiseled jawline and piercing blue eyes giving him an almost supernatural presence, regaled everyone with a story from the night before.

"So I looked the tone-deaf bloke right in the eyes and said 'Mate, if you can't handle a little friendly fire, maybe karaoke just isn't for you.'" Noah's full lips curled into a devilish grin, though his eyes betrayed his feigned seriousness.