chapter twenty four

On the fourth Saturday of March, the Gryffindor quidditch team walked out of the changing rooms, accompanied by the Hufflepuff quidditch team.

"Today is a lovely day for the Hufflepuff-Gryffindor quidditch match!" announced Fabian Prewett, who was commentating the match. "Madam Hooch is about to start the match! Get ready for an exciting game!" Everyone in the crowd roared loudly.

Madam Hooch opened a large box and multiple balls immediately flew out. She blew her whistle loudly and the game officially started.

Ophelia sped up into the air, watching the game around her and listening to Fabian's commentary.

"Gryffindor chaser James Potter grabs the quaffle and makes his way towards the Hufflepuff goalposts! Hufflepuff keeper Alicia Boardman stands her ground and blocks the goal! Tough luck for Gryffindor, although Potter probably got distracted by Evans-"

"Prewett!"

"It's the truth, professor! Anyways, Hufflepuff has got the quaffle! Hassan Peakes avoids a bludger thrown by John Bell and is heading towards the Gryffindor side of the pitch. Keeper Sirius Black tries to block the goal- Oh! But he misses! That's 10 points to Hufflepuff!"

Ophelia heard the Gryffindor stands all groan, and even heard a few comments to her brother that made her laugh a bit. She looked over towards the Hufflepuff stands, who were all jumping up and down, excited to have gotten the first goal of the match.

She flew a few laps around the pitch, searching for the golden snitch, but she couldn't find it anywhere. The Hufflepuff seeker Andrew Dedalus kept close behind her, a tactic that she personally found quite annoying.

"Marlene McKinnon has the quaffle. She throws it to Geoffrey Fawley who is going to the Hufflepuff goalposts. He is blocked by Hassan Peakes and throws the quaffle back to McKinnon. She makes a move to the goalposts and shoots. That's 10 points to Gryffindor! Hufflepuff and Gryffindor are currently tied, each with 10 points."

The Gryffindor stands cheered loudly for Marlene, as well as Ophelia. She sped over to Marlene, who was making her way through the pitch. She rode alongside her best friend, not wanting to stop Marlene.

"Nice job Mar!" she yelled.

"Thanks Phee!"

Marlene sped up towards James, who was chasing Laney Morgan.

"Hufflepuff chaser Laney Morgan has the quaffle! Potter and McKinnon are following closely behind, trying to steal the quaffle. Potter tries to bump the quaffle out of Morgan's hands but fails. Morgan still has the quaffle, she shoots, and she scores! That's 10 points to Hufflepuff! The score is currently Hufflepuff 20, Gryffindor 10, but the game is just getting started folks!"

Ophelia was getting tired of Andrew Dedalus and his constant trailing behind her. She pretended to see the snitch and chased after a random rock on the sandy ground. Dedalus sped up after her.

"Gryffindor keeper Ophelia Black seems to have spotted the golden snitch! Dedalus chases after her. They're both flying fast towards the ground, but wait! Black swerves up in an attempt to trick Dedalus. Dedalus swerves out of the way just in time! One more second and he would have been knocked hard into the ground! Great move Black! You should consider talking to my brother Gideon! Rumor has it that he fancies you-"

"PREWETT!"

"Sorry professor! It's called being a matchmaker!"

"Prewett, if you don't pay attention to the match I'll get someone else to do the commentary."

"Yes professor," Prewett sighed dramatically. "Hufflepuff chaser Aliana Murray has the quaffle and makes her way to the Gryffindor goalposts. She takes a shot and is blocked by Sirius Black! The quaffle is in Potter's possession. He avoids a bludger hit by Evan Perks and is on his way to the Hufflepuff side of the pitch. Potter attempts a Finbourgh Flick, using his broom to hit the quaffle into the Hufflepuff goalposts. That's 10 points to Gryffindor! The score is Gryffindor 50 and Hufflepuff 70! Hufflepuff is in the lead by twenty points, but there's still hope for Gryffindor."

Ophelia knew that all eyes were on her, as she was the only way that Gryffindor could win the match. She felt the pressure, but that only made her more determined. She scanned the pitch for the golden snitch. Her breath hitched when she saw Dedalus sharply dive. The snitch was about twenty feet in front of him. She flew as fast as she could, trying to get to the snitch before her opponent. The two were neck in neck as they chased the snitch. Ophelia honed her attention on nothing else other than the snitch. Unfortunately for her, her attention turned from the commentary.

"Black and Dedalus are after the snitch! It's just ten feet in front of them! But what's that? Hufflepuff beater Lisa Higgs hits a bludger towards Black! Dedalus dives in order to avoid it but ouch! Black gets hit in the head with the bludger! It looks like she's passed out! Ouch, she falls to the ground! In other news, Andrew Dedalus catches the golden snitch! Hufflepuff wins with 220 points!"

✩☾✩☽✩

"Do you think she'll have a concussion?"

"Only time will tell."

"She was pretty close to the ground already though, she didn't fall too far."

"No, luckily. And Madam Pomfrey said she didn't break any bones. The only damage would be soreness and maybe a concussion."

Ophelia opened her eyes slowly, blinking away the blurriness she had. She looked around the room; she was in the hospital wing. She saw her entire team crowded around the foot of her bed, as well as Remus, Peter, Alice, and Lily.

"Hey Ophelia, how are you feeling?" asked Sirius, who sat down on the bed when he realised she was awake.

"I'm alright. My head hurts a bit. What happened?"

The team looked at each other warily.

"Well, of course it wasn't your fault," Sirius started. "But Higgs hit a bludger towards you when you and Dedalus were chasing after the snitch. He avoided it, but it hit you in the head. You passed out and Dedalus caught the snitch. We're pretty sure you passed out and fell off your broom, and Madam Pomfrey came and brought you to the hospital wing."

"I'm sorry. I should've seen the bludger coming towards me." Ophelia sighed sadly.

"Ophelia, look at me. It was not your fault! It's just one loss. We have other games that we can win!" said James.

"Wow! I think I have a concussion. I mightve just hallucinated. Did the James Potter, Quidditch King, actually admit that it's okay that we lost?"

"What are you doing here?" asked Geoffrey Fawley, coldly.

Ophelia looked up towards the entrance of the hospital wing. Lisa Higgs walked in, unsure.

"I'm sorry. Look, I know I shouldn't be here, and I'm sure that none of you want me here, but-"

"Yeah, you're right. Leave." said Peter.

Ophelia looked at him in shock, not thinking that Peter would say something like that.

"It's alright Peter," she said. "What's up, Higgs?"

"Hi, Black. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I didn't mean to knock you out or anything! I just wanted you to get distracted and swerve away from the snitch. Yes, I'm excited that we won, but I definitely didn't want you, or anyone, to get hurt in the process. I'm really sorry!"

Ophelia smiled warmly at her opponent, "It's alright! That's quidditch! Most people wouldn't even apologize. I respect that. Thank you, really."

Higgs nodded, softly smiling and left the group to themselves.

"Poppy? How much longer do I have to stay in here? It's been about three minutes since I woke up and I'm already bored!"

a/n
sorry for the short chapter i just felt like i needed one about quidditch since it's been a while
next chapter will be fun though (big prank :) )