14. New Gotham

An emergency signal appeared on a television in the mall as everyone gathered around it. The Gotham broadcast system kicked into life and upon the screen appeared the President of the United States.  

"My fellow Americans, it's been decades since Gotham City once exemplified American prosperity." He begins. "But one week ago, it hit the point of no return when the Joker seized control and instituted martial law. Last night, his base of operations, the Joker Tower, came crashing to the ground, triggering an 8.6 earthquake that leveled the city. Sadly, Gotham is beyond saving. So it is with a heavy heart that I hereby declare that Gotham City is no longer part of the United States. It is civitas non grata. God bless the United States of America, and God help Gotham City."

Everyone looks at one another unsure now

"Fuck yeah!" Harley however cries out in celebration.

The streets of Gotham were in chaos as people fought in the streets and looted stores unopposed. Harley was riding through the streets in what appeared to be a dodgem car being pulled by a pair of Hyena. "Honk honk, Motherfuckers!" She cried as she barged through a crowd of people. The mall came up into view now as she headed towards it. 

"Home, sweet home. Harley says now back at the mall climbing out of the dodgem car. She looks at her Hyenas now. "Good job, my little baby drivers. I got a treat for ya. Now, Bud and Lou, don't you fight. There's one for each of ya." Harley says as she takes out two steaks and throws them to the hungry Hyena.  "And for my big babies." Harley says as she opens a trunk in the modified dodgem car to reveal a tied up man. "I brought dinner!"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Those beasts get steak and we gotta eat this guy? Are we living in a mall or a zoo?" Psycho asks.

"I like to think of it as both now." King Shark says as he strokes an alpaca he had stolen from the Gotham Zoo. 

"No, we're not eating him. This is Takashi, a sushi chef. He's got a Michelin star!" Harley says now taking the chef out of the trunk.

"I gotta admit, I was excited to eat a person, especially since I already had sushi, but I guess it's fine. Come here!" King Shark says as he lifts the small chef over his shoulder.

"Takashi, would it be gauche to ask for a spider roll, or are you strictly omakase?" Clayface asks as the they start to walk away and set the chef a cooking station up. 

"Y/n, Ive, are you not jazzed about sushi?" Harley asks the two as she notices them still sat down. 

"No, no. I mean, I like Takashi's hand rolls as much as the next gal, but don't you think it's time to kinda like wrap up this party up? You know, it's been three weeks since you took down Joker. There's no Legion of Doom. No Batman. Gotham is yours for the taking." Ivy suggests. 

"I am having a blast! This is what I've always wanted, Ive. Anarchy and sushi!" Harley says. 

"Yeah, I mean, you definitely could've had better sushi when Gotham had refrigeration and free trade with the rest of America, but..." 

"Ugh is this a bird?" The three hear Clayface cough nearby.

"The point Ivy is trying to make. " Y/n interjects now. " Is that you will regret it if you do not take charge of the city."

"Y/n, Ive, the best part of living in an apocalyptic wasteland is no one's in charge. Whoo!" Harley cries excitedly.

"It's chaos, baby! It's like 'Nam after the U.S. pulled out." Sy calls out excited before he then sighs remembering flashbacks.