Chapter Thirty One - Menacing Smile

I smoothed down my black sheer dress, adjusting my spaghetti straps and ruffling the tulle that jutted out slightly at the bodice and fell to my calves. I slipped on a pair of black strappy heels and turned to look in the mirror. My hair was curled slightly at the ends in a way that gave a softer look to my face. I used my fingers to shimmy through the tendrils, smoothing it out even more than it was.

Saying I was nervous was a huge understatement. I was anxious at the idea of seeing my mom after such a tumultuous period between us, but I was also worried about seeing Aaron or his parents. I could handle June, but Aaron's father - Tim - was another story. He was calculated and he always got what he wanted.

Alexander had asked over and over again if I would prefer that he tagged along, but I didn't want the first experience he had with my mom to be at a posh party full of pretentious people. Besides, this was my battle to face and these people were my problem, not his.

I grabbed my clutch and walked out of the apartment to grab a taxi. I gave the driver the address and he proceeded to drive me to my mother's house. My phone buzzed along the way and I grabbed it, looking at the screen.

Alexander: Call me if you need anything
Alexander: and just remember that you are strong and brave

Olivia: I'm sure everything will be fine but thank you all the same!

Alexander: I'm going to be at my garage, which is only 8 minutes away.
Alexander: 4 if I ride ;)

Olivia: Did you google that?

Alexander: Maybe

"That'll be $16.30, miss," I jumped a little at the voice of the driver, looking out the window and seeing my mom's house lit up like a Christmas tree. There looked like an upwards of fifty expensive cars on her massive driveway and everyone was dressed to impress.

"Thank you," I replied handing the driver a twenty. I stepped out of the taxi and took a deep breath, trying to steady my nerves before walking up the expansive staircase into the house.

I walked in without knocking and was greeted by a server holding a tray of champagne glasses. I snagged a glass in the hopes that it would ease my tense demeanour. I took a couple of sips. It didn't help.

I made my way into the living room where all the furniture had been pushed against the wall to make space for the large number of bodies. I walked to the mantle above the fireplace looking at the only frame that lingered on it. It was a picture of my mom and I on the day of my debutante ball that she'd made me attend at 16. I was pretty much wearing a wedding dress. My face was pinched into a tight lipped smile that didn't reach my eyes and my arms were uncomfortably at my sides. My mother had her camera smile ready, a radiant wide smile, practiced crinkled eyes. To anyone else it would have looked like we were closer than ever.

"Olivia." I swivelled at my heel at the sound of my mother's voice.

"Hi, mom," I smiled at her. "It's a great turnout."

"I'm pleased with it. You look mesmerizing." She took a sip from her glass of champagne.

"Thank you," I replied, "you look amazing, as always." I wasn't even brown-nosing as I said it. She always looked beautiful and put together. I sometimes wondered if that was a result of having nothing when she was younger. Running away from her abusive parents as she did, I'm sure she craved for more. Perhaps that was why she had such rigid expectations for me.

She smiled gently, "How is your apartment with Avery?"

My eyebrows rose, "How did you know I-"