Chapter Ten

I'm really glad people are still reading and enjoying this, and it would mean the world to me if you tell your friends about it! I'd love some more support :) Also, if you have some time, my story 'California Dreaming' is in the Watty Awards under undiscovered thriller? It would be so incredible if you could go and give me a vote!

Thanks,

Lily x

We were laughing, leaning across the table as he held onto my hands gently, slowly caressing them with each of his fingers, when all of a sudden, the lights went out. I gasped sharply, my eyes trying to adjust to the change in surroundings.

“It’s okay,” Kit whispered.

Then, to my surprise, there was a flash of light from where our waiter was carrying out a small, round dish, with candles sparkling like fireflies in the darkness. I heard Christopher beginning to laugh as I let out a yelp of surprise, clasping my hand across my mouth.

Happy birthday to you,” Kit began to sing, standing up and waving his hands around, trying to get the rest of the restaurant to join in with him. I laughed wildly, my grin so wide it felt like my face was about to snap in half. “Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Lana!” He paused dramatically, sitting down again and watching as I giggled in delight. “Happy birthday to you!”

“Kit, I can’t believe you!” I gaped, as they put the plate down in the centre of the table and the whole restaurant began to clap, prompted by Kit, before the lights were turned on again. “Thank you,” I smiled at the waiter, who grinned back before walking off politely.

“Do you like it?” Kit asked optimistically.

“Uh, yes,” I giggled, making him laugh.

“One thing, a bonus I suppose, about being an actor, are the extraordinary things you can do with your publicity,” he shrugged modestly, “I’ve never really needed to, I’ve never wanted to impress someone as much as you, Lana.”

“It’s wonderful, Kit,” I assured him, looking at the large piece of cake which had been placed in the middle. It was chocolate, the perfect size for two, decorated with small, chocolate roses.

“I’m so sorry I missed it, Lana,” he became apologetic again and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes expectantly.

“It’s really not a big deal, Kit,” I smiled, taking a large bite of cake.

“On the contrary!” He exclaimed, beginning to chew enthusiastically. “It’s a terribly big deal! I missed your birthday, the first birthday we would have spent together, and you were eighteen! Eighteen is a big deal, I remember, all those years ago,” he chuckled.

“It’s just a number,” I shrugged, “they’ll be plenty more.”

“Next year then,” Kit said wistfully, and I squeezed his hand comfortingly.

After we had finished our cake, we argued about the matter of paying the cheque; Kit insisted that due to the fact he had both missed my birthday and slept with his ex girlfriend, it was a fair trade. We gathered up our things and collected our coats from the cloakroom, at the front of the building. There were faint flashes coming from outside, through the tinted front doors, as if the sky had begun to sparkle.

“What do you want to do?” I asked, frowning.

“It’s up to you,” he looked down at me, stretching out a finger and curling a lock of blonde hair behind my ear. “I wanted to go for a walk with you, through the park, but it’s a little rainy for that, so we may have to save that for another time.” He chuckled and I grinned, sucking on my bottom lip.