019

february 11th, 2024
3:41 pm

"FIREFLY! FIREFLY!" Ayoluwa exclaimed

She was in the backyard of her brownstone with her new puppy, wearing her usual heavy long black coat.

Firefly was running around the average sized grassy area, avoiding Ayoluwa and the new periwinkle collar, etched with the name of her pet on the front, that she was holding in her left hand.

"Come on, Firefly!," Ayoluwa let out a sharp whistle that finally made the dog stop in her tracks.

Ayoluwa patted her thigh like the reruns of Cesar Milan had taught her to and Firefly walked over to her.

"Yes," Ayoluwa hissed as she slid the blue collar around the neck of her pet.

The doorbell ringing sounded from the other side of the house and caused Firefly to start barking.

Ayoluwa gently scooped the puppy into her arms and then went to open the door.

When she saw who was standing on the porch, she let out a shriek of happiness.

Imani was standing on the stoop, a smile on her face, "Ayo!"

"Mani! Oh my god, come in!" Ayoluwa grinned then stepped aside to let her sister into the house, "What are you doing here?"

"My job has a conference in Newark this week. I was too close not to come and see you!" Imani fixed her eyes on Firefly, "Well, what's his name?"

"Her and this is Firefly," Ayoluwa let the dog loose onto the ground.

"This place is nice," Imani commented as she walked further in, peering around at the furnished living room and kitchen before opening the stainless silver refrigerator, "What do you have to-?"

Imani frowned and pulled out some leftover boneless wings, "I thought you were still on your vegan kick?"

"I kinda am, but I was really, really, really craving some hot wings so I got them from the bodega a few blocks down. I was about to walk Firefly down there now so I can get mozzarella sticks. And maybe a bacon, egg and cheese because I still haven't one." Ayoluwa said as she hooked the glittery matching periwinkle leash harness onto the animal.

Imani gave her a look then shook her head, "You don't do por-. Okay. I wanna come, I've never been to New York before."

Ayoluwa locked her front door and then sisters locked arms before making it down the stairs onto the quiet Brooklyn street.