023

february 22nd, 2024
11:48 pm

"THREW AWAY YOUR LOVE LETTERS," Ayoluwa closed her eyes and sang into the microphone, her fingers lightly strumming an acoustic guitar

"I thought it'd make me feel better, I finally got you out my bed, but I still can't get you out my head," She continued.

Ayoluwa had written a lot of songs during the short time she had lived with Joshua in Manhattan but all of them were too personal to record with someone watching.

So she had opted for a lonely studio and had conveniently forgotten to tell Robert that she was here.

"And I need you to know, you don't know what love is," Ayoluwa could hear the pain in her own voice as she simultaneously reflected on the gut-wrenching end to the relationship with her first love.

"And you don't. Yeah, you don't know what love is if you don't put up a fight, you don't know what love is if you don't stay up all night, you don't know what love is if you're too good to call a million times, and you say that you know what love is but I swear you've never seen it in your life," Ayoluwa played.

"Mmm, oh. Yeah, I swear you've never seen it in your life." Ayoluwa finished the instrumental and then propped the guitar on the side of the studio.

"That was good," Robert's voice sounded through Ayoluwa's headphones causing her to jump and press one hand protectively over her abdomen.

"Oh my god!" She gasped as she turned towards the soundboard outside the booth.

Robert revealed a smile, showing off his white teeth, "I was just saying you sounded good. What are you doing here? Why didn't you tell me you wanted to record today?"

Ayoluwa pursed her lips as she put her guitar in the case, "Uh... I... These songs are kinda personal and I guess I wasn't sure if I could bare my soul in front of you yet. Plus I wasn't sure if these songs are good enough for the album."

Robert nodded, "I get that but you can trust me. And every song you've dropped so far has been a hit. You're a star, you don't need to worry about that."

Ayoluwa had to will herself not to start to blush at the compliment, "Thanks. Um, I was gonna go home because I didn't have your beats and-."

Ayoluwa's stomach started to rumble, due to her hunger and she pressed both hands over her stomach again, "That's embarrassing. Uh..."

"It's fine," Robert chuckled a little.

Ayoluwa removed her headphones, took hold of her closed guitar case and exited the booth, "What are you doing here by the way? It's kinda late."