Don't You Say It

With Schmidt dead and hydra defeated, the SSR was set to be re-tasked. Peggy didn't know where she would be sent to next but she knew that there was somewhere she needed to go first.

It took some digging but Peggy was able to find Barnes' file to look up Lizzie Rogers address.

Peggy stood outside the house for awhile not wanting to go in. She wasn't looking forward to informing a complete stranger of the death of her brother and fiancé but she promised Steve.

With the thought of Steve in her mind, she goes up and knocks on the door.

A young women comes to the door and Peggy can see the resemblance between her and Steve. They both have the same shade of eyes and the same color hair. Peggy imagines that Lizzie and Steve were similar heights before he took the serum.

Peggy also notes that she is quite beautiful. She understands how Barnes would fall for a girl like her.

"Elizabeth Rogers?" Peggy asks.

"He's dead isn't he," Lizzie says flatly.

Peggy doesn't know how to respond because she was expecting to work up to the reveal. She wanted to give it to her gently.

"He died three days ago," Lizzie continues.

"How did you know?" Peggy asks.

She asked Colonel Phillips to refrain from sending the condolence letters for Steve and Barnes so she could tell her in person.

"I felt it," Lizzie says numbly.

"You felt it?" Peggy asks.

Lizzie leaves to go inside but she doesn't close the door so Peggy assumes that this is an invitation to come inside.

She follows Lizzie into the living room and watches as Lizzie settles on the couch.

"Steve and I we have, had, this connection. No one could ever understand it but him and me. We are linked in a way that defies logic. We can feel each other and it felt as if a part of me died that day. I feel as if I'll never be warm again, like there is literal ice in my body," Lizzie explains.

Peggy knows that Steve died crashing into the icy Atlantic. She doesn't know if she believes Lizzie's claim but that would explain the cold she describes.

"He wanted me to tell you that he loves you and he's sorry," Peggy says.

Lizzie's head snaps up to look at Peggy.

"You were with him?" She asks accusingly.

If this girl was with Steve, why didn't she save him?

"No, not really. He radioed me and we talked until he crashed," Peggy explains.

Lizzie didn't know until this moment how her brother died. She doesn't really want to know how but she asks anyways.

"Crashed?" Lizzie asks.

"Yes, he forced a plane into the Atlantic in order to stop a bomb from destroying New York. Your brother died a hero," Peggy explains.

"Stevie was always a hero. Even when he was small and sick and skinny, he was my hero. Now? Now, he's a dead hero," Lizzie says.

Lizzie feels like she should be crying but the ice in her soul is numbing her.

Peggy is quiet, trying to figure out what Lizzie is thinking. Her eyes just look dead to the world.

"My brother is dead and my fiancé is God knows where..." Lizzie trails off.

She looks at Peggy and can read the regret on her face. Lizzie gets up from the couch and begins to back away from Peggy.