055. can't handle change

H I R A E T H

 lv||can't handle change

As the fabric of his jacket reaches his elbow Maria frowns, looking at the pale skin and then she sees it.

The black, tattoo looking mark on his forearm.

It looks sore, red and irritated like he'd been scratching it, the mark appears to be moving slightly on his skin. A tear rolls down her cheek, of course she recognises the shape, it's been on newspapers and propaganda everywhere throughout the wizarding world.

The dark mark.

Maria Potter knows what this means, the boy she fell completely and unconditionally in love with; Regulus Black is a death eater.

Regulus has his own tears streaming down his face as Maria stares at his arm, not moving with her eyes wide and clouded with her tears that she's trying to hold back. She steps forwards making Regulus recoil slightly and she looks up at him sadly with her mouth agape as she slowly steps forwards, gently taking his arm in her smaller hands, softly letting her fingers trace over the mark in his skin.

"Does. . .does it hurt?" Maria whispers and Regulus opens his mouth for a second before looking down at her in surprise. She raises her eyebrows for him to answer and he looks at the scratches he'd left on his skin.

"Not. . .anymore." Regulus mumbles and Maria nods.

"Good." Maria whispers and Regulus nods. "How—no, why. . ?"

"My—parents." Regulus sighs and Mari sighs also, looking down and Regulus feels tears prickle in his eyes once more, only seeing disappointment on her soft features. "I know—I was weak, I'm trying Ria—"

"Shhh." Maria whispers and Regulus nods, watching her every move carefully as she looks into his storm filled eyes. She lifts his arm slightly and presses her lips on the mark softly, her hands shaky as she internally panics. Not for herself, she knows for a fact that Regulus wouldn't hurt her, or anyone — except maybe Snape or Avery and his cronies — for that matter. She's scared for him, even she knows becoming a death eater comes with a terrible price that is almost impossible to pay.

"You're supposed to hate me." Regulus says, his voice breaking and vulnerable. "I'm a coward, Ria."

"No—look at me." Maria whispers, grabbing his face in her hands and forcing his grey eyes to lock on her chocolate brown ones. "This doesn't make you a coward, okay? You're braver than me, you're with me, aren't you?" Regulus nods as a tear slips from his eye. "That's brave, not just because I'm a nuisance, you're putting your life on the line because I love you—"

"Because I love you." Regulus whispers, softly tucking a piece of her silky hair behind her ear. "You could hate me, never want to see my face again—Merlin you could literally stab me in the heart but I'd still love you."