Chapter 42

When I got home that day, I called my doctor to get an appointment to have my check-up. I was seeing too many health professionals lately.

It made me feel like I had a lot of problems. I didn't like it. I mean, I did have a lot of problems, but that wasn't the point. I just didn't like how official seeing a doctor made them.

My problems weren't little league problems now, they were professional problems.

I really was the king of issues.

Unfortunately for me, my doctor only had free spots next week. That was more than the five days Coach had given me. I'd have to tell him I couldn't get anything sooner.

I hoped I wouldn't have any problems. I asked my doctor to call me if anyone cancelled their appointments.

Dealing with this made me stressed out. Not only the fact that I was late for the appointment but the fact that I was going to have yet another check-up of my head, and there could be something more wrong than usual.

When I was sure I had a bad grade at school, or I got an email and I knew it wouldn't be about something nice, I always kind of just... left it there. I didn't look at the exam, or I didn't open the email.

I just kind of ignored it. It didn't magically take care of the problem, but as long as I didn't see how bad the problem was, I could go on with my life.

Which was a completely ridiculous way to deal with your problems, because you weren't dealing with them, you were just playing hide and seek with them.

I paced around my room in the evening, and then went in my shack to try to paint, but I didn't feel like it.

I went running afterwards. I ran outside and not on a treadmill, so I wouldn't feel like a restless hamster.

It was already dark though, so I felt like some kind of thief running around town.

I ran all the way to Fred's fast-food joint, but it was one of these very rare times where Fred wasn't working.

I thought about turning back, but then I decided to be very stupid, and instead headed to Lexi's house.

Their lights were mostly turned off, they were probably all asleep right now.

I felt like a true stalker, just sitting on the curb on front of her house, with my hoodie on, leering.

I took my phone and texted Lexi, to see if I would actually get an answer. I bet you're missing me right now Pumpkin! Am I right?

I was missing her, while she was probably just sleeping, not thinking about me.

I was about to get up and try to run home when my phone dinged with a message.

Of course, you're right Blake! I miss you so much I'd want you to show up naked at my window!

I kinda froze and looked around. Did she know I was standing right in front of her house? Is that an invitation? I replied.

Of course it is Lexi texted back.

I laughed and hid my face against my knees, shaking my head.

I called her. "I'm waiting," I said the second she picked up.

"What?"

"It's getting cold, you should really open your window or something, or even better, unlock the front door, because whatever people say, climbing up your wall naked won't be a sexy sight for your neighbors," I told her, looking at the window of her room.