Chapter 2

Hazel POV

My eyes fluttered open as I slowly woke up. The sun was bright against my eyes causing me to squint at first to help my eyes adjust. I let out a small yawn and then looked down at Nex's limp hand.

I was laying down on my side facing the window, Nex pressed right up against my back with his arm slung over my side. I could feel his chest rising and falling, and his warm breath tickling the back of my neck. Trying to look over my shoulder, all I could see was his black very messy hair.

I smiled and attempted to roll over without waking him, but it didn't work. He opened his eyes sleepily and stared at me.

"Good morning." I said with a smile, trying to suppress the giggle that wanted to come out. "Your hair is...quite messy."

He groaned and rolled onto his back, taking his hand off of me to run his fingers through his hair. "Do you want me to look for the needle that's sure to be in your hair?" He asked with an eye roll.

I made my mouth open as I sat up. "How dare you. My hair is..." I was about to say fine, but it really did resemble a haystack. I touched my hair with my hands before crossing my arms across my chest. "I like my hair."

Nex just chuckled and stretched his arms out in front of him with a yawn.

"What are we going to do today?" I asked, dropping my arms.

"Whatever you want to do."

I looked towards the sun coming through the window. "Can we go for a walk after breakfast?"

"Of course." He said. He then looked down at what he was wearing. "We should probably get changed first. I'll get changed and go make breakfast, then meet you downstairs."

I nodded my head and smiled. "Mkay."

He returned my smile and kissed my cheek before getting up and leaving the room. I reached over and picked up the glass of water and took a gulp before placing it back down next to Nex's book. I stared at it for a moment before getting up and taking the bag into the bathroom that was across the hallway.

I chuckled as I stared at myself in the mirror while I brushed my teeth. My hair was a crazy mess. After my teeth were completely brushed, I took the brush out of my bag and yanked it through my light brown hair. Once satisfied with how my hair looked, I changed out of Nex's old t-shirt and pajama shorts, and into a black shirt and dark grey sweatpants.

After throwing the bag back into my room, I walked back out into the hallway and towards the staircase. I wasn't sure if Nex was still in his room as I passed, if so then I'd wait for him in the kitchen. At the bottom of the stairs I stopped. I wanted to go to the right to see if Emma, Kyle and Billy were still there, but I had to trust Nex. He promised me he would let them go, and he wasn't a liar.

I turned to the left and followed the hallway into the kitchen. Nex was standing on the far side of the island with two bowls filled with cheerios. He slid one of the bowls across the table as I sat down on the stool I always sit on.

We both took a few bites in silence and then I looked up to him to see him about to say something, but then he snapped his mouth shut after looking in the direction of the way out. I looked over my shoulder to see one of the men -a blond haired man with a scar peeking from his forehead- looking at both Nex and I.

"What is it, Matthias?" Nex finally said, breaking the silence.

Matthias didn't say anything, he just gestured for Nex to follow him. I watched in confusion as Nex nodded and stood up.

I was about to get up as well, but Nex put a hand on my shoulder and gently pushed me back down onto the stool. "We'll be right back. You stay here."

I raised an eyebrow, which Nex ignored, and watched Nex and Matthias leave. I turned back around to face my bowl of cheerios, and took another bite. What was Matthias showing Nex? Nex was telling the truth, right? About letting my friends go? Were they still here?

These thoughts spun around my head like a record player as I watched Nex's cheerios become soggy.