40.

Briar had looked to his grandson, impressed. He didn't think the young Giant had the nerve to kill an actual human being. His Father had always looked to River as weak and weird minded like his mother.

River stood at the cliff and took deep breaths. His face remained hard as the screaming stopped.

Briar nodded and clapped his grandson on the shoulder. "I will find his body tomorrow and make sure something wild finds it."

River nodded and wiped his jaw. "I have two more humans in the cave."

The world crashed around Briar. "What? Have you lost your mind?" He threw his hands up in the air. "Why would you something so stupid?"

River shook his head. "Something told me not to. I know that one human and the other one is a youngling, not even mated yet."

Briar ran his hand over his face.

~~~~~

"AZZALEA! IT'S WADE! WE'VE COME TO RESCUE YOU, BUT YOU HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO GET US OUT!"

Wade didn't know how long he called out to her, but he peered into the darkness fully convinced she was out there and could hear him.

Every so often he would hear a baby cry out and he would scream louder.

Wade tensed as he heard footsteps. He couldn't see, but he knew they weren't Azzalea's. These were heavy and deliberately loud. It was meant for him to hear them.

A low growl came from the darkness. Another one joined it. Wade stepped back from the rock and looked around for Blake. Their fire had long been out, but the blue glow that came from the water gave him just enough light to see the young boy pressing himself against the stone wall.

"Get ready." Wade said to him quietly.

Blake shook his head. "No. I want to go home."

"Well you're about to meet Jesus, so buck up."

They watched as the rock moved to the side and the two sasquatches glared at them from the doorway. Their red eyes flashed and they growled at one another.

Wade raised his hands. "I give up." He said loudly. He was so tired. Wade's throat was scratchy and dry from his yelling. He had thought about drinking from the pond, but was afraid if he managed to escape, he would die later from some sort of brain-eating amoeba.  He watched in confusion as one of the beasts made a "follow me" motion with his giant hand. He hesitated and looked back at Blake. "We have to follow him."

Blake took a shaky breath and nodded.

The slightly bigger one stepped to the side and allowed Wade and Blake to pass him as they followed the other one out.

He did his best to follow the beast, but the cave was dark.

Wade was trying to hear something, but everytime the Bigfoot behind them breathed out, a growl came from his throat. It was hard for him to focus on anything.

He raised his head as the smell of cooking food tickled his nose. He peered around the giant creature and saw a light coming from a turn off. Half tempted to run around the beast and do his beast to make it to the light. Wade looked back as Blake made a noise in his throat that sounded like a kitten. He grit his teeth and regretted agreeing to allow him to come.

Wade nearly ran into the creature as he stopped suddenly and turned around. They were so close to the turn, Wade could nearly taste whatever meat he could hear frying.

"Azzalea mine."

He had always pictured when someone said the words, "My mind was blown.", Wade could just see this person's head literally exploding. Confetti would rain from the sky as this person's head just burst with whatever they had learned.

Wade felt his head fly around the cavern and bounce around on the stone walls. "What?" He didn't even really mean to ask the, now English speaking, Bigfoot what he had said in such a disrespectful tone, but it fell from his mouth as his jaw hit the ground.

The Bigfoot put his hairy hand on his chest. "Azzalea mine. You hurt. You move. You dead."

That was clear enough. "Ok." Wade swallowed hard. He looked back to Blake and held his hands up, telling him to relax. He took a deep breath and looked back to the beast. "Ok." He nodded.

The beast behind them growled deeply and made a "umph" sound.

The one in front returned the noise with a nod.

Wade knew there was a plan and if they made any sort of mistake, they were dead before they could even realize it. He looked back to Blake as the creature in front of them hesitated. The boy may have been stupid enough to come on this dangerous trip for proof, but he wasn't lost on the threats. He stood there, shaking like a leaf in a windstorm. Wade was scared the boy was going to pass out again and the sudden movement of the boy falling to the ground would trigger the animals to attack him.

 The beast leading them took a deep breath. His shoulder fell as if he already regretted his decision.

The one from behind made a noise.

"River, are you out there?"

A female? Wade listened as the high pitched growling/grunting came from around the corner. His curiosity was going to get him killed. He had to see the female. Maybe he had been calling out and Azzalea was never here. Maybe the Bigfoot was trying to protect his rare mate and child. He heard the soft noise of a child's coo.

The creature in front grunted his reply and sighed again. He turned back around and locked eyes with Wade. "Azzalea mine. Hurt Azzalea. Dead you."

I guess it is Azzalea. Wade's mind was spinning as they started around the corner. The flood of light made his squint. He looked to the small creature who stood with her back to them. He wiped the tear that came from his eye and made a noise as the Bigfoot forced him and Blake to sit down on a log.

His vision unblurred and he looked around the well lit room. If he wasn't mistaken, that stone blocking the exit was the one they tried to get in the first night. He took note of the black sasquatch as it went over to a basket looking thing and peered down into it. He made soft noises. Is that smile? It's white teeth glinted in the fire. Wade shook his head. 

He looked over to the brown one. The one who clearly communicated the threat of death. He followed the male as he stepped and towered over the female. The beast put his large hand on the small of her back.

Her back was turned. Her brown fur flowed out all over the place as she stirred the meat. Wade looked at her plump form. No wonder he was so protective over his cave. If Wade had something as delicious looking as that female did from behind, he would be too. He took a deep breath. "Where's Azzalea?"

His speaking caused Blake to jump.

He watched as the female straightened her back. Wade looked with confusion. "Azzalea, is that you?" He was at a loss.

Wade tensed as she turned around. "Is it really you?" The fur she wore, he could have sworn she was another creature like the others. The hood was flared out. He watched her lift her arms and lower it. He didn't know what he was expecting.

He didn't know if he was expecting her to look like a caveman. Covered with dirt, and a giant unibrow, maybe a mustache? Wade half expected her to look malnourished and beaten. For her to be used by the horrible beast in such ways that she couldn't walk.

Azzalea looked beautiful. The fire reflected off her creamy white skin and made her look enchanting.

"What are you doing here Wade?"

She spoke with such authority, he was taken aback. That wasn't the scared and timid Azzalea who ran away from their little hick town.  

The next update will be June 11, 2021!  Thanks for reading!   ~Autumn