Chapter Nine: Thanksgiving

**********************As Ricky & I rehearse The Start of Something New, a ladder is moved above us

As Ricky & I rehearse The Start of Something New, a ladder is moved above us. Then, I have to signal to one of the dancers to fix the reading card that is upside down.

Basically, it is just chaos.

The school bell finally rings: "Yes! Yes! Whoo!" EJ cheers, causing the attention to fall on him. "Sorry. I really love Thanksgiving."

"Okay, hold on!" Miss Jenn dismisses, "I know everyone is excited for the holiday break. But I'm me, and I have notes. Ricky and Bianca, that was dazzling! As always, your chemistry shined." She beams.

Ricky and I share an uncomfortable glance, as Carlos smiles teasingly at me. 

"And, dancers," Her smile fades as she sighs, "It could be better.. She said in the spirit of holiday cheer."

Carlos compliments the quick save, then Miss Jenn continues, "Your homework over this break, all of you, is to please go on vocal rest. And go over your lines, too, which is hard to do on vocal rest. But, make it work. And remember, may nothing ever block your doorway to happiness."

Mr. Mazzara walks in, "Excuse me!"

"Okay, starting now." She quips.

Mr. Mazzara returns Ashlyn's binder for the break, before turning to look at me, "And, Bianca.." He starts.

"Hi." I blurt out, puzzled.

"I'm inviting your family to spend Thanksgiving with mine." He grins.

My face falls, "Oh,"

He nervously smiles upon seeing my reaction, "We will be enjoying three varieties of peach cobbler, and we're renting out the Rotary Club." He talks it up.

As I nod and force a smile, Miss Jenn takes notice of my uncomfortable state, so she chimes in...

"Well, I'm sure it can't compare to the candied yam bake-off that we throw every year in my home. But I hope you bring my lovely, darling, Bianca, and her lovely family, joy nonetheless." Miss Jenn rambles, I chuckle gently.

"And I wish you had some joy, too." Mr. Mazzara sneers, then looks at me. "My family and I can't wait to have you guys there, Bianca."

"Sounds good." I blurt, forcing a grin.

Mr. Mazzara smiles and nods, before walking out.

"You're kidding." I mutter in defeat, approaching Ashlyn and Carlos.

Carlos collects his belongings, "I would hate to spend my Thanksgiving with Mr. Meanzara, too, but cobbler sounds so nice. My family usually has three protein courses and then everybody's asleep by 6:00." He complains.

Big Red approaches us, "My folks start eating at dawn, and then they barely make it past the Macy's Parade." He explains.

Ashlyn huffs a laugh, "Well, at least your folks are sticking around. EJ's parents are treating my parents to a spa in Park City after dinner tomorrow." She explains.