xli. scales

CHAPTER FORTY-ONE ─── scales 

𝕾tasiaj Yahontov had been starting to think that Kaz Brekker had been ignoring her in the time after the end of the heist. That was, until, he had given Malkus a message, telling Stasiaj to meet him by the docks of Fifth Harbour at dawn. So, with the sun rising in her eyes, and the last brush of the night tugging at her hair, Stasiaj took the familiar path down to Fifth Harbour.

Cobblestones lined the streets, passed out drunks in doorways and others scurrying to get home for a well deserved rest. Stasiaj just kept her head down, hiding her chin in the collar of her coat, and continued onwards.

Taking a right, Stasiaj scrunched her nose up at the sight, and smell, of the sea as well as her Crow Man, who was looking out across the water in deep thought. He was back in the familiar dark coat that Stasiaj adored so much, the cold wind whipping his hair around as it did hers.

"I was starting to think you were ignoring me," Stasiaj called, strolling to his side so that the pair could watch the boats in the harbour. They were coming in and out slowly and Stasiaj found the sight of it somewhat peaceful. It was the most at peace she thought she could be with the sea in front of her.

"How are the Vipers?" 

"Alive," Stasiaj smiled at the thought of her little informants. "No one was hurt during the 'plague' and they're all excited to go back to their usual jobs."

"So, I'll still have my shadow?"

"Well, Malkus seems to like ignoring my thoughts on what he should do when it comes to you," Stasiaj rolled her eyes. "Expect him to be hanging around you constantly now so keep sweets close and try not to let him near anything with sparkly things, he likes to take them."

"He's spent too much time around the crows," Kaz murmured, as Stasiaj laughed again, grinning at Kaz. "You hear that Wylan is letting Jesper play the markets?"

"That's a good plan. Channel his love into something more productive," Stasiaj nodded at Kaz's information. "You've talked to Inej I'm going to guess?"

"Before I came to speak to you," Kaz replied, before nodding in the other direction, and Stasiaj turned to see Inej embracing two other Suli adults.

"You found her parents?"

"Your brother did," Kaz waved it off and Stasiaj smiled at him.

"Underneath it all, Kaz Brekker, you have a good heart," Kaz finally turned to look at her fully, an eyebrow arched in somewhat confusion. Stasiaj admired his face as she spoke, taking in the sharpness of his jaw, the slight curve of his lips and the arch of his eyebrows. "You can try and deny it all you want, Brekker, but I know the truth. Malkus told me you had toffee in your pockets for him."