Chapter Thirty Three - The Messenger Always Gets Shot

"Your phone is ringing again," Avery stood at the door to my room taking in the scene before her.

I lay underneath multiple blankets, laptop blaring some Netflix show that wasn't doing much to make me forget about my current predicament, old Chinese takeout boxes scattered over my sheets. I must have looked disgusting, to put it lightly.

"Throw it in the trash then," I replied shovelling a huge scoop of ice cream into my mouth.

She raised an eyebrow at me, "What's the plan for today?"

"Same as yesterday." I responded, my mouth filled to the brim with rocky road.

"You've been in bed for two days, Olivia."

"I'm aware," I replied sarcastically.

"Well, have you talked to anyone?" Avery asked walking into my room and shuffling some dirty boxes to the side before she sat down at the very edge. I'm sure it was taking everything in her to not clean my room right now and disinfect it with bleach. 

"Nope." I said curtly.

"Have you talked to Aaron?" She asked again.

"Ha. No."

"Alexander?"

I shot her a grim look before changing the subject, "You know what I don't get about Shadow and Bone? How did he just make that dark energy come from him after reading that journal? It doesn't make sense." I jabbed my spoon at my laptop as I spoke.

"I get that everyone deals with things on their own time, but are you dealing with things at all, Olivia?" Avery asked in concern.

"I'm fine, Avery." I rolled my eyes. I knew she was trying to help me. Deep down, I knew that. But the messenger always gets shot.

"Don't snap at me because you can't deal with your other issues." She replied in a cautioning tone.

"I just don't want to talk about it," I said bitterly. Why couldn't she take a hint?

"Fine. You don't want to talk about it. So sit here and sulk and do absolutely nothing to take your life into your own hands. You know why I liked Alexander? Because he didn't change you into what suited him. When you were with Aaron, you turned into a stepford wife, Olivia!"

"What does that mean?" I asked quizzically.

"It means, you did whatever he wanted you to do. You attended all the events he needed to go to, wore all the outfits you were required to, and impressed who you were meant to impress. Finally, finally, for once in your life, you let other people's opinions fly to the wind. It didn't matter what anyone else said. You were finally you. Alexander brought out a good side in you."

I stayed silent, staring at my laptop, but not seeing the screen at all.

"You want to sit here and have a pity fest? Fine. But I'm not going to join in with you. Because these decisions are yours to make." She huffed before getting off the bed and walking out, but not before throwing in, "And throw out these goddamn food containers! We're going to get ants!"

I glared at the door as she slammed it behind her and pulled the blankets a little higher. 

I must have dozed off because I awoke to the sound of a firm knock at my door. I sat up and looked around me, seeing that the sun had set from the window in my bedroom. I scratched my head, yawning before the incessant knock banged again. 

"Just come in, Avery," I stated firmly. 

The door creaked open, but a familiar blonde head peaked in slowly. 

"Mom?" I asked in utter shock. I sat up a little straighter and tried to smooth out my hair that must have looked like a bird's nest sitting on top of my head.