Twelve

"Those were the best waves I've seen in a while!"

"Were they?"

"Yes, did you not see! They were huge!!!"

"You're adorable when you're excited"

"And you're adorable when your heart is beating"

"Good one"

"I learnt with the best. I love you!"

"I love you a lot too, Amelia"

I smiled at the camera before he turned it off and placed it down. "Am I tanned yet?"

"Not exactly" I placed my surfboard down. "Strange how the boys stay on the sand and the girls go into the sea"

"Where's Tiegan?"

"Currently paddling for a wave" I sat down. "I look like a salty mess"

"I tried to surf once and swallowed a mouthful of salt water and you're always a mess, just an adorable mess" he pinched my cheeks and kissed me. "Why are you so cold?"

"No, you're just too hot-"

"Hot damn" Connor mumbled from his towel, half awake. We both laughed and using sun cream wrote 'IM IN LOVE WIT DA COCO' on his back with out signatures.

"He's going to kill us" Ross laughed quietly.

"Oh well, it will be worth it" I smiled as Tiegan came over. She glanced at Connors back and snorted.

"Genius" she gave me a high five. "So I believe we're just spending the day at the beach today?"

"Yes" I laid down, my left leg and arm over Ross. "Unless you have somewhere better"

"Not really, this place is cool" she took off her wetsuit. "I'm gonna go get some sundaes, anybody want one"

"I'll take a large one and share with this one" Ross pointed at me. "And Connor will probably want one"

She nodded and skipped on in her usual happy way. Behind us, Connor shuffled in his sleep.

+++

"Careful there" I told Ross as he deposited more sand nearby. "Pass me that stick"

"Stick"

"It's too dark, I can't see" I sighed. "Should be fine now"

"Wow" Ross looked down at my massive sand castle. "It would be a shame if-"

I shoved him and he fell on his butt into it. "Oops"

"You just destroyed it!" He exclaimed.

"I know, may as well since the water will do it" I kicked down the back of it and poured water on the front.

"Oi, you two" Tiegan said. "Come and see this"

We sat in a small huddle in the darkness, a full moon up in the sky in between countless stars. Around it was a faint but very visible ring, shining in orangey red tones.

"Am I the only one who sees the ring around the moon?" Connor asked.

"No, I see it too" I said. "What does it mean?"

"It has a meaning?! Awesome!" Ross leaned on me.

"It's an old story but my nan says that usually when the moon is like that someone important in your life is going to die depending on how well you see it" Tiegan said. "I see it just about"

"It's faded for me" Connor said and Ross nodded.

"I see it perfectly" I replied and they all looked at me. My eyes diverted to Ross and I reached for his hand. He squeezed it reassuringly.

"Anyway" he sighed. "Anybody up for pizza?"

writers block AF but you guys just wait