Chapter 9

3 BBY

Vader finds himself on the distant planet of Malachor, a planet acting as a beacon of dark power due to the Sith Temple hidden beneath its surface. It is a rocky, hellish wasteland shrouded in the mysteries and secrets of the dark side.

Seeking out the secrets of the dark side hidden throughout the galaxy is not unusual for him. What is unusual, however, is his reasoning for visiting Malachor. He was informed by his Inquisitors that the Rebellion's Ghost Crew is attempting to unlock the secrets of the Temple. Power like that is reserved for users of the dark side, such as himself. He will not allow the Jedi or terrorists to use that knowledge against him.

He descends his TIE Fighter into the atmosphere at the exact coordinates of the Temple. If he is correct, all he will need to do from this point is lower his fighter below the surface.

In preparation for the inevitable duel to follow, he climbs out of his TIE and finds his balance on the ships' body.  The TIE descends into the world of the Sith Temple while Vader stands on its wingspan. There is really no reason for him to do this other than his desire for theatrics. Much like the man he used to be, Vader likes to over dramatise.

Over the whooshing sound of his TIE fighter, Vader can hear the muffled voice of a child. If he is correct, the voice belongs to the same Jedi Padawan he and his Inquisitors have failed to track down; Ezra Bridger.

Vader jumps from the TIE to the platform of the Temple, bringing him face to face with the Padawan who has caused so much unrest. The child is alone, and Vader sees this as the perfect opportunity to exploit his fear.

With each of them having their lightsabers readily ignited, Vader proceeds with his menacing theatrics.

"You have unlocked the secret of the Temple," Vader booms. "How did you accomplish this?"

"You're smart, figure it out," The child, Ezra, says in response.

The apprentice clashes his lightsaber against Vader's in a daring display of courage. Vader towers over the child, yet he shows no fear. 

Ezra contains much of the arrogance and ignorance of a younger Anakin Skywalker. He does not feel threatened, no matter how big of a threat his opponent is. He is overconfident, but he does have great potential. 

"No matter, the power within will soon serve the Emperor," Vader speaks.

"I don't fear you!" Ezra shouts.

Most of the Jedi who have made this claim in the past have lied. Their fear is what strengthened Vader's power, thereby giving him the selfish might to kill them. 

"Then you will die braver than most," Vader remarks.

Vader clashes his crimson lightsaber against Ezra's multiple times, with the child managing to block each attack. Up until this moment, Vader has been going easy on him. Now that the child is putting up a fight of his own, the Sith will have no problem destroying him.

When Ezra's defence grows weak, Vader strikes his blade through the blaster hilt of the Padawan's lightsaber. Ezra is thrown to the ground beside the shattered pieces of his weapon, leaving him to take in the insurmountable feeling of failure.

He becomes covered by the threatening shadow of Darth Vader, who is now holding his lightsaber in the air. All he needs to do is strike him down, and Ezra will perish. 

"Perhaps I was wrong," Vader admits.

"It wouldn't be the first time," A distant, familiar voice shouts.

Standing at one of the entrance's to the Temple is the glowing complexion of a female Togruta. Her stance is calm, but her emotions display the opposite. She is afraid, anxious, and regretful, and all of those emotions seem to relate to Vader.