Chapter 6

Cat Noir was late.

I paced around one of our favorite roofs of Paris. In the distance, there was the rush of water flowing from under the bridge near André's place.

Normally, Chat was early for patrols. If he was late, something was up.

I tried to logic my was out of this one. Cat Noir was quick on his feet; not only that, he was extremely smart. If anything were to turn up, I know he could handle his own.

Finally, I started roof jumping, and I welcomed the feel of my physical enhancements. I don't think I'd ever get used to it. My legs had been sore all week from running, but with my powers activated, I couldn't feel a thing.

Paris looked like a different city at night. The atmosphere shifted, and the air felt crisper. There was a hum to the city; citizens talking over a delicious cafe. Laughs from the bakeries and excited chatter over the Eiffel Tower.

I loved the city. It was on nights like tonight I wanted to skip patrol and go enjoy a warm meal while listening to violinists perform in the streets.

But a job was a job.

I shook my head before taking another turn out of the busy part of the city. The music grew distant, and the voices grew fainter. Now, I was distinctly aware of how alone I was.

I kept my ears alert, listening for any warnings like Chat had heard last time. Patrols were easier with two people, and they were quicker too.

Finally, I jumped down from a roof and decided to go by foot through the streets. Normally, Chat and I stuck to roofs to have a better view and to avoid people, but there was only one more block to check.

As I turned the corner, I was instantly shoved into an alleyway. Someone grabbed me and threw me against the wall. I suppressed a groan as I felt pain spring throughout my entire body.

"Now, what is Ladybug doing around the city on a night like this?" I couldn't recognize the voice, and the alleyway was too dark to see anyone.

I bit my tongue to keep from responding. The less information I gave, the better. My eyes adjusted to the darkness, and I realized there were two other people in the midst. One versus one I could handle no problem, but three?

Where was Chat?

"Suddenly, she's shy." A tall figure from behind started to walk forward, and I noted that he seemed to be the leader of the three.

"Oh, I'll make her talk." I saw him crack his knuckles. Two were holding me down as the strongest came my way.

I felt the pain before I registered what was happening. It spread throughout the entirety of my torso, and before I could recover, another blow came.

I tried to double over, but the two men held a grip so hard that they forced me to stay upright.

A third blow came to my cheek, and I started to feel lightheaded. I tasted blood, and I spit it in their face.

"Just an identity, sweetheart, that's all we need." His disgusting smile shone in the darkness, and I knew it would be keeping me up tonight.

He chuckled as I squirmed against the two men holding me. As he came even closer, I writhed against all three of them with no luck.

"I do love to watch you squirm." His eyes held excitement as he grabbed me by my chin to keep my in place. He then tucked a piece of hair behind my ears and clicked his tongue.

His eyes raked over my entire body, and they were still roaming when he whispered, "the things I could do to you..."

I rolled my eyes. Apparently that did not go unnoticed. He only smiled, "I like them feisty."