FOUR

* * *

"Hallo, Camila!"

She doesn't know how, or pinpoint when exactly, but she started blushing at the sound of Lauren's voice.

"Hi,"

"How are you today?"

Considering her early scuffle in the girl's bathroom because some bitch thought it was fun to stop the water from running while she was soaping herself in the shower, and since diplomacy simply doesn't really work around her, it eventually provoked her to throw a knee-reversal hex on the said bitch making it problematic for her to move on her duck feet, which a professor quickly found out and now she's supposed to have her first serving of detention this year and the bitch didn't even get anything for cutting off her shower water, well, let's just say Camila's day is starting out as peachy as a goddamn peach pie.

She doesn't say any of that but instead she replies politely anyway.

"I'm good . . . How are you?"

"I feel bloated. I ate a lot of that peanut butter sandwich with mango jam this morning. It's an interesting flavor profile, but now I think it probably wasn't the best idea,"

She smiles, amused.

The girl was a little dorky and so comfortable with herself, it is so endearing.

The fifth year Ravenclaw then sits right next to her, not minding the looks she was getting from all the other students in that room. She pulls out a small book and starts reading it.

Camila couldn't fathom why would this girl waste her time getting close to her. She could have befriended someone else. Someone who doesn't live under the dark shadow of their mother. But no. She picks to be close to her instead.

As much as she's feeling skeptical about it, like it was some kind of an elaborate cruel joke, it is also making the Slytherin girl feel fluttery in her stomach.

And she don't do fluttery shit ever.

Yet here she is.

Now, she is about to apologize for her behavior from the day before. And she never apologized for anything ever.

"Lauren, about my behavior yesterday, uhm . . . I'm sorry I was rude, leaving you like that. I shouldn't have ran off the way I did. I just didn't know how to respond to the things you told me,"

Lauren stops reading and looks at her, smiling softly, "It's alright. I apologize if I was too forward. I never meant to make you feel uncomfortable,"

"No, I was just surprised. You're unlike everybody else,"

"Hmm . . . You're quite unlike everybody else too. And that has nothing to do with the woman who gave birth to you," Lauren shrugs, then continues reading, "It's like the saying goes, it's not who or where you came from, but rather who or what you choose to become,"

Camila felt more fluttery shit in her gut.

Curiously, the Ravenclaw girl leans close to her with an open page of her book, "Have you heard of this spell?"

She glances at the book and nods, "Yes. That is used for specific injuries in most animal limbs. But then, I think medicinal potions would be more effective,"

"I think so too. But then, it's not always easy to have an animal ingest something that surely tastes worse than a soggy cardboard. They're pretty similar to humans on that. Have you tried it?"

"Not yet. I hope I didn't have to. Why do you ask?"

"I'm very interested in healing spells," Lauren shrugs again. And somehow Camila thinks it's cute.