I find myself travelling back to you // S.B.

Request: Could you possibly write a Simon Basset fic where maybe the reader is like a childhood friend and he bumps into them and they talk and catch up with maybe some romance or something?

Pairing: Simon Basset x Fem!Reader

Warnings: childhood friends, pining, mutual pining, fluff, some angst, she/her pronouns, female reader.

Word count: 3.8k

-------

There was not a cloud in the sky as you made your way through Mayfair after having turned down a carriage. Instead, you chose to walk away the morning, happy to feel the warmth of the sun through the layers of your dress.

The streets had started out as quiet; a few souls here and there, but they soon grew busier and busier as routines were started. Dodging bodies here and there, you found it hard to be annoyed at the crowds – the weather too perfect for your mood to be sullied.

A flash of deep red amongst the crowd has your eyes and body on alert; the sound of a deep voice has your ears pricking. "Simon?" You call out, eyebrows furrowing as you spy a familiar head of hair making their way through the crowds.

"(Y/N)?" The man in question answers, eyes wide as he takes in your form.

"It's been so long," You whisper, staring into his brown eyes. "I suppose I should call you 'Your Grace' now. I was sorry to hear of the passing of your father," You comment softly, not overly sorry for the death of the man who had mistreated his son so poorly but offering your condolences as a form of social etiquette.

Nodding his head, Simon smiles at you. "Thank you," He gestures to the elderly lady on his arm, "I am sure you remember Lady Danbury."

You smile widely at the elderly lady as she grins back at you. "Of course I do," You laugh, "We meet at least once a week to have tea."

If possible, Simon's eyes grow wider to the point where Lady Danbury snorts. "Really now, Simon. Did you expect us ladies to go our separate ways when you left the country?"

"Of course not," Simon drawls, amused by the elder. "I just didn't realise you had a close relationship."

"Well we do. That reminds me," Lady Danbury pipes up, "I will not be able to make our tea appointment this week, dear (Y/N). My grandson, Gareth, is visiting."

"Of course, Lady Danbury. We can always rearrange to the following week."

"Nonsense," She declares, slamming her cane onto the ground, "Simon will meet with you."

Casting your gaze to the tall gentleman, it is not hard to miss to the surprise in his eyes. Shaking your head, you state, "I am sure the Duke has more pressing issues than tea with an old friend."

Lady Danbury opens her mouth to protest your point but is beaten by the Duke. "I have nothing so pressing that cannot be rearranged. I shall meet you tomorrow, I assume Lady Danbury knows the spot."

With a nod of your head, Simon smiles. He reaches out, grabbing your gloved hand and presses a kiss to the back of it. "Until tomorrow then," He promises, stepping away from you with Lady Danbury in tow.

"Until tomorrow," You whisper, watching the strong figure of your childhood friend walk away from you.

Glancing up at the still cloudless sky, you wonder how it is possible that the world keeps spinning when your own has changed so much. Simon left the country years ago, and even then, contact with the man was few and far between. He had left for school and seemingly left you behind. The very fact that he was happy to have tea with you sent shockwaves through your body; not a word for so many years and then this out of the blue.