fourteen

"Agree to disagree, Di

"Agree to disagree, Di."

***

Jennifer was making her prettiest doll dance, imagining she had just been crowned "Prom Queen". Beside her, a young Lydia was growing bored with this game. Every time they played with their dolls, Jennifer always came up with good outcomes for hers. On the other hand, Lydia's dolls never had happy endings. Although, she didn't care because she was with her best friend.

There was a knock at the door, interrupting their game. Lydia's mother appeared from the other side, poking her head through. "Hi, girls."

Lydia smiled. "Hi, Mommy."

"I just wanted to bring you two some lemonade." She kicked her foot against the door, opening it some more, revealing two glasses on a tray. Natalie Martin placed it by their feet, the girls grabbing a glass each. Lydia chugged most of it whilst Jennifer merely sipped on the straw provided. "Sweetie, remember you need to keep your room clean for when Suzie comes round."

"Yeah, I know." She took another sip of her drink. "Thanks for the lemonade, Mommy."

"You're welcome, sweetheart," Natalie said before taking the tray and exiting the room with it.

As Lydia happily drank her lemonade, Jennifer was perplexed. "Who's Suzie?"

"Oh," she lowered the cup from her lips, responding. "She's my friend."

Her confused expression dropped. "I thought I was your friend?"

"You are. You're my best friend." Lydia affirmed. "Suzie's just my other friend. We're going to have our nails done together, then we're going to have a slumber party. It's going to be so fun."

Jennifer hid her disappointment from her best friend, not wanting to show her hurt. Nevertheless, the young girl tightly clutched onto her necklace, reminding her of their everlasting friendship.

Lydia put her drink down, the glass almost empty. "I've got to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back."

She jumped onto her feet, sprinting out of her room in a hurry. Jennifer was all alone; it was almost pitiful. Her anger towards Lydia was slowly growing; her childlike envy clouded her judgement. In spite, she grasped onto her glass of lemonade and stormed over to Lydia's bed. She yanked the duvet away and threw her drink onto her white bedsheets.

The young girl smiled wickedly as a yellow patch formed. She would never hurt Lydia, but that didn't mean she couldn't mess with her; it was irresistibly satisfying.

"Hey, Lydia." Allison's voice awoke the strawberry-blonde from her daze.