KEEPING A SECRET

D O M I N I C  P O V

The past two weeks, Stevie's been acting strange since she encountered me with a woman who was my lunch meeting. 

I've explained my business to her, but she's not herself at all, and I'm worried because she even drank a full bottle of wine.

Sitting at my desk on the phone, sorting out the wedding gift I have for her, which is hard trying to keep it a secret.

She is suspicious, but it's all innocent, with secret phone calls and meetings.

"Mr Davenport, will you be needing to view the property?" The realtor asks. "Yes, I want to know the condition of the house and the land," I said. "The island is secluded, and the house is perfect for your summer breaks." "Email me when I can view and I'll set up a meeting." End the call and placed the mobile on the table.

Gazed at the computer screen, at the picture of the island and the house. It's a perfect wedding gift for Stevie from yours truly. 

All I need to do is keep it a secret, but I hate doing this to her when she's not putting all her trust in me.

Glimpsed towards the door when someone knocked. "Yes," I said, and the door opens, and it's Miss Bell, my assistant. "Huh, Stevie called to say she wouldn't be able to make lunch, and dinner is not going to work either." Sit back in my seat and stare at my mobile. She never called me, but called the office.

Wave a hand in the air. "Is that all she said? No explanation why she's cancelled our lunch date?" "No, not a word, but it sounded like she was near water." Baffled to what she's told me, so I dismiss her. 

Grab my mobile and ring, Stevie, for the reason why. "This is Stevie, please leave a message and I might get back to you." I laughed and tried Sunny. "Mr Davenport." "Sunny, where is she?" He takes a deep breath. "She didn't want me to tell you it's a secret." He's following orders from Stevie.

Rubbed my face, thinking what a fucking mess this is at the moment, but it's worth keeping the secret to appreciate the surprise on her face. "Sunny, can you at least hint?" I'm fishing. "She's enjoying gazing into a mirror." Smiled.  "She trying dresses on?" I asked. "I'm not allowed to say my lips are sealed." He replies and laughs. "I will see her at home later." End the call and placed the mobile on the desk.

Grabbed the file for my meeting, and headed to the conference room to meet the board members and go over the quarterly reports.

***** 

Stare at the door, expecting Stevie to step right in as the men sitting around the table talk. "This quarter is up by ten per-cent from the last, and it appears the year will end very profitable for all of us." Mr Hadley said. I nod and listen to one of the other board members. "Well, Dominic, how are you planning the end-of-year party? Will you be giving bonuses to the managers?" Mr Pere asked. 

Glanced at all eight men, and they are waiting for me to say something, but I sit back in my seat gazing at my mobile thinking. "I think the managers are deserving of the bonus, but the real people who have done us proud are the workers. I think this year the workers will have something extra in their paychecks. After all, they are the backbone of this company." They stare at me and nod.

It's about time the workers got their due and are showed how appreciated they are for their hard work. The thing is it's got to be worth it, so they know I'm not just here to make a profit. We all stand and shake hands. 

Gather the files and grab my mobile to text Stevie. "Baby, missing you, and I did something out of the ordinary. Love you." "Hey babe, sounds remarkably mysterious, but I have some news for you too. Sorry to miss lunch, will catch up later. Love you." How very strange.