Chapter 5

Chapter Five

The sun shined through the little window in my cabin and I opened my eyes slowly. There was no toilet paper anywhere, my hair was still the same golden blonde that I had dyed it last night and it didn't seem like there was anything wrong.

A smile spread across my face as I got ready. This was going to be a good, no, great, day. I could tell already.

Just before I left for the main cabin, I looked over the list that I made yesterday one last time. Yep, definitely a good day for sure.

Humming to myself quietly, I skipped up the hill and into the main cabin. When I entered it, I walked to the front of the room.

"Good morning," I said in a sing-songy voice.

Everyone gave me skeptical looks but stopped talking. At least that was better than yesterday.

"So I looked over the stuff that Marvin planned and it was totally boring. I decided that we're going to do different things. But, we gotta get this place sparkling clean first," I told them, pointing to the old moldy stains and garbage in the room.

It was quiet for a second and I looked around awkwardly.

"Well?" I said. "Let's get to work!"

I bent down and began to pick up loose pieces of wrappers, reaching under a shelf to get what looked like a rotten orange peel. Standing back up, I faced everyone who was standing there, watching me in awe.

"Is there something wrong?" I asked nervously. I was beginning to lose my confidence from earlier.

No one spoke and I stared at them. "Guys? What's wrong?"

Finally, a little girl about 10 years old stepped forward. "You're helping us?" she said. It wasn't a question, more like a statement - like she couldn't believe that I would help her.

"Well, yeah. Did you expect for me to just sit and boss you around?" I laughed.

"That's what everyone else does," she said in a small voice.

All the other kids looked down sadly and the older ones looked a bit upset too. I was careful not too make eye-contact with Nate because he just sat there, looking utterly hateful.

"That's stupid. I'm just the same as you, why should I do nothing? Besides, we get more done faster together," I replied cheerfully, trying to ease some of the depressing feeling out.

The little girl, followed by everyone else, looked at me curiously.

"It's true!" I defended. "Come on now, we don't wanna be stuck in doors all day."

"You mean we actually get to go outside?" a boy chirped.

"Of course! Now chop chop, let's get cleaning!" I instructed.

Everyone got busy and began picking up tissues and candy wrappers. Alison looked at Ariane and they both shrugged and walked to the broom closet to get brooms.

I guess after a while, James, Dylan and Jackson got tired of sitting around since everyone else looked like they were actually having fun. They got up too and started scraping some unknown substance off the wall.

The only one left sitting was Nate, and he looked sulkier than ever. With a sigh, I walked over to him.

"Aren't you going to do anything?" I asked, careful not to waver my voice.

He looked up at me from his sitting position and shifted in his chair. "Why should I?" he snapped.

"Everyone else is doing something, and they look like they're having fun," I said. As if on cue, James and Jackson roared in laughter from their game of "trash can basketball".