Chapter 8.5

During lunch, Jane told Tyler about the community theater meeting, leaving out Sandy's revelations afterward, of course. Tyler chuckled when she mentioned Marlene's grandiose suggestions, then nodded thoughtfully when she mentioned the three plays she planned to recommend at the next meeting.

   "I think you're right to stick with lightweight comedies for now," he said. "You should have better public response."

   "That's what I thought. People are less likely to be overly critical when they're laughing—which means, of course, that I'll have to make sure they do laugh."

   "Sounds like a lot of work. And a big commitment on everyone's part—especially yours. Sure you want to be tied down to that?"

   She shrugged. "I'm not planning to leave town any time soon. And I like being active in the community."

   "I hope it goes well for you."

   "Thanks. You're sure I can't talk you into auditioning for a part?"

   "I would rather be tied up and beaten with a banana peels," he said with blunt humor.

   She looked at him from beneath her lashes. "Really? I didn't know you were into that sort of thing, but I'm sure it can be arranged."

   He set his tea glass on the table with a thump. "Behave yourself," he ordered gruffly, visibly reacting to her sizzling look and sultry voice.

   She laughed and turned her attention back to her lunch.

   By the time their plates were emptied, Jane was pleased to note that Tyler looked more relaxed than usual. His blue eyes were unshadowed, and a faint smile softened his sexy mouth. Gossip or not, she had come to the conclusion that she was good for him. Now all she had to do was to convince Tyler.

   She stood and gathered their dishes , arranging them efficiently in the dishwasher. "What would you like for dessert?"

   She hadn't realized that Tyler had risen from his seat until she heard his voice directly behind her.

   "You," he said, his arms sliding around her waist.

   Her skin was warming, she leaned back against him, laying her hands on his crossed wrists. "Most people want something sweet for dessert."

   "I prefer spicy." He nuzzled the back of her neck, his lips tasting the sensitive skin at her nape.

   Her eyelids felt suddenly heavy. "So do I, actually."

   "That doesn't surprise me." His right hand slid upward from her waist, pausing just an inch below her breast. She knew he could feel her heart pounding frantically against her ribs, but she made no effort to hide her reactions from him. If he didn't know by now that she wanted him, he hadn't been paying very close attention.

   He shifted an inch closer, so that he was pressed more tightly to her, proving that she wasn't the only one with wants. She moved lightly against him, drawing a husky sound from deep in his chest. Dipping his head lower, he nipped at a patch of shoulder revealed by her deeply cut T-shirt. "Jane?"

   Her eyes were almost closed. She tilted her head and lifted her shoulder to give him better access. "Mmm?"

   "I have a couple of hours before I have to be back at the office."

   She turned in his arms, placing her hands on his shoulders and searching his face. "And you want to spend those hours with me?"

   "I want to spend those hours making love to you," he clarified.

   She didn't know what had changed since Friday night, when he'd abruptly pulled away from her and almost run from her house—just as he had the Friday before that. She wasn't sure what had changed his mind, or why it had happened now. But she wasn't going to try to talk him out of it. "I can't think of a better way to spend a couple of hours."

   The skin of his mouth had grown taut during her brief hesitation. Her words made him relax. "Neither can I."

   She pushed lightly against him, forcing him to take a step back, and then she took his hand. Without a word, she moved toward the kitchen doorway.

   Without a word, he followed.