19

George's POV

George was interrupted the following evening to a fist knocking at his door.

He opened his door and poked his head out, spotting the prince.

"Clay? What are you doing here?"

Clay grinned, his eyes sparkling and his hair messy. He replied quietly, "I've been meaning to show you something."

"What is it?"

"A surprise, you idiot, now let's go."

George grumbled and left his room with Clay, curious as to where they were going.

"You better be caught up on your sleep because we are going to be gone all night," Clay said with a grin.

"What?" George sighed. "This better be good then."

"Oh it is."

George couldn't help the smile creep across his face, listening to Clay's excited tone. They headed to the stables and Clay began tacking up a horse, the sun slowly setting in the distance.

"Uh, why do we need a horse?" George asked.

Clay glanced over his shoulder, replying, "We have some distance to cover in order to get to our destination."

George merely blinked, sleep starting to nag at him. Clay finished tacking up the horse and helped George up, mounting the horse moments later to sit in front of George. George didn't bat an eye at the close contact, slowly getting used to it over the past week or so.

He wrapped his arms around Clay's middle and rested his cheek on his back, leaning into the familiar, comforting presence.

Clay turned his head slightly and murmured, "Sleep if you need to, George, I'll wake you when we get there."

George mumbled an indistinguishable response and sighed softly. His eyes glided shut as he let sleep overtake his consciousness. The last thing he remembered before falling asleep was the faint thump of a heart and a quiet voice humming to him.

~

George woke up when he no longer felt the horse moving below them. His eyes opened and he blinked, looking around. His cheek lifted from Clay's back and he stretched, seeing that they were near a river.

"Where are we?" George asked sleepily.

"Somewhere."

George scoffed and took Clay's hand as he dismounted the horse. He muttered, "Wow, thanks. I know exactly where we are now."

Clay chuckled and unclipped her reins, letting the horse roam with her saddle still on.

George's eyebrows furrowed, "Why aren't you tying her up?"

"She'll meet us on the other side," Clay said dismissively.

"Other side?"

Clay didn't respond. He walked to the river, George following behind, stopping at a dock with a row boat tied to it. He got in, setting the reins in a hidden compartment, and held his hand out to George, who took it wordlessly, still getting the drowsiness out of his system.

Clay untied the boat and pushed them off, taking the oars and rowing. George looked around at the dark scenery, only lit up by the starry sky. The night was quiet and calm, dark clouds starting to travel over the sky. He peered over the edge of the boat and looked down at the dark water, which was flowing gently.

He looked back to Clay and asked, "Where are we going?"

"You ask so many questions," Clay said with a small smile, "just enjoy this, it doesn't matter where we are."