Chapter 89

All Esmeray wanted to do when she got back was cuddle.

Klaus was waiting for her after putting Hope to bed, his arms outstretched, welcoming her. She crawled into them, sighing and letting her head rest over his heart.

"It's over, love," he said soothingly, tracing shapes on her back. "She's gone."

"I just have a feeling," she mumbled. "It was too easy. With all that magic, she didn't sense us coming? It's hard to believe."

Klaus smoothed his hand over her shoulders. "Freya told me that you were all made to see things. And considering Hayley ran off to the Bayou as soon as she kissed Hope goodnight..."

"It was bad," Esmeray confirmed. "She tried to sway me in her favor. Had me see my parents and Anya and Lucien and you..."

He frowned, and she shook her head. "I'm fine. Really, I am. I know it wasn't real. It just makes me question why she didn't fight back harder to live."

"We will lay low for a few days. If she is indeed gone, we will know soon enough, won't we?"

She nodded. "Klaus?" she said after a few seconds. "I love you. I don't know when was the last time I told you that."

Klaus patted her head. "And I love you, my little werewitch."

There was a tense moment. "I still want you to call me that," said Esmeray. "It's familiar, and it will make me feel good."

"Of course, love, I can do that. Is there anything else you wish to discuss?"

"Do you still want to get married?"

"Yes. Do you?"

"Yep. I guess I just imagined myself walking down the aisle with magic at my fingertips."

"Have you felt you've adjusted well?"

"I think so. There wasn't much to adjust to, I had the speed and heightened senses and the ability to turn at will. The emotions are not as bad anymore. The hunger... I'm forcing it down."

Klaus sat up. "I ought to get you some blood."

"No, please." She pushed him back down. "I don't want to get used to drinking it so much. I'll be alright until the morning."

"Love, are you certain? You haven't let yourself drink much."

"I had a good amount when 'hunting' with Damon. I'm not a Ripper, thankfully, but I do know I can still lose some control, and I don't want that. I'll be okay with just some blood for breakfast and some for dinner. Don't worry about me."

Klaus pressed a kiss to her temple. "I cannot help but worry. This transition was sudden and mostly unwanted. It is alright if you feel you need to consume a substantial amount to feel your desires sated."

"I'm fine," she insisted. "Please, Klaus, I just... I just want you to hold me. If I start talking, I'll start complaining, then I'll say something rude, and just go on and on about all the things I'm hating about life right now. I want... a few calm moments where I can cuddle with you and forget everything."

So that's what they did.

Except, of course, by the next morning, there was already another problem needing to be addressed.

"Vincent got ambushed by the Hollow's men and they took his special little book? Just proves my point that the bitch wasn't dead. Does 'ding dong' have an opposing expression?"

"Unfortunately not," said Hayley dejectedly. There was a lost look in her eyes, and Esmeray frowned.

"That's not the only thing bothering you," she said slowly. "What is it?"