Prologue - Born Again

...crack...

...crack...

...crack...

CRACK!

"...Mama?"

"..."

"Ha...Han...Hange?"

"..."

"Mama Hange!"

>...Three Days Earlier...<

"Abnormal!"

"I see it."

This was routine by now, the Scouts on their horses pelting across open fields and veering away from any Titan they happened to see. Unfortunately no matter how many of the man eaters they avoided, some were too stubborn to ignore the humans on horseback.

"It's gaining!"

"This is what we trained for! Don't let it unnerve you! Engage the enemy!"

Even with little in the way of movement, trees being sparse meant the only surface they could use was the Titans own flesh.

They engaged their ODM gear, hooks flying with a sharp hiss and glinting in the suns midday light, spearing deep into the behemoths body and anchoring themselves just under its thick skin. The soldiers flew into the air, he sound of pressurised gas crying out like a high pitched whine as they circled around their adversary, like a bird of prey.

Though, anyone of this world would eventually come to the realisation that no matter how trained you are, no matter how many battles you've won...humans are no predators.

The giant lashed out, the hooks under its skin jostling and sending their owners into a brief panic before they came loose.

Some managed to right themselves, firing their hooks again to secure themselves. A few were unlucky, either unable to get a secure position on its body for them to anchor themselves and taking a rough landing with bruised bodies.

But one, a young rookie who was eager to go in for the kill, was frozen, the Titan's head snapped back in an uncanny pose and staring at the boy with glassy and unfocused eyes. He didn't even get the chance to scream as the lurched up, jaws clamping around his head and upper body.

From there, all it took was a subtle shift, a simple squeeze, and his head popped like a grape.

Crimson splattered on the giants chin, dripping down onto its chest and lower still to the grass, wetting it with the blood of yet another hopeless human fighting for a free home.

It didn't take long for the rest of the body to follow, the monster slowly chewing him into a bloody paste as his friends and comrades watched silently in horror for a moment before it jerked forward, almost like it was punched in the back of the head as it fell forward.