Chapter Sixteen: His Victorious Highness

A month later...

Today was the day Nikolas would arrive. He was much more loved by many after his victory, and was able to defeat the kraken within this year which gave him a lot of potential suitors. Even if he was a married man, many princesses from other kingdoms was given to the prince as their fiancé from the king's themselves.

From what I've heard, when Nikolas arrived in Nashfah, the king proposed a marriage for him and the princess. Though, no one seems to know what Nikolas's answer was.

Aleksander was also rather busy these past month and was still trying to find other lady-in-waiting for me, which led me to be left with Liv still. With a pounding heart, I stomped my feet left and right. I didn't know if I should feel excited or nervous for the crowned prince's arrival or not.

I stopped dead in my tracks and took a deep breath, mumbling myself reassurance in my overthinking mind. I scurried my way out of my chamber, looking around the people in the castle scurried off with plate and decorations for the prince's return.

As a wife of the crowned prince, I had no choice but to decorate the whole place even if I knew so little about them. But thanks to Aleksander's help, I think that the place would be magnificent. "Where are you headed off to, lady (y/n)?" I heard a voice, bursting my bubble of thoughts. I looked up to see Aleksander with the same stoned face and pocket watch at hand.

"I'll be going to the kitchen, your highness. I'll be checking for the custard pie, the ladies seems to be having a bit of a trouble since the chef got sick." I sighed, pinching the bridge of my nose. It was one of Liv's sabotage, I heard from Andrea that she put food poisoning of the chef's food, making him sick just in time for the prince's arrival.

This must be her way of getting back at me with her bitter revenge. Just a few more days, and she'll be gone from the castle, at least I hope so. Luckily for me, I was always a cook's best friend back in the manor. He taught me lots of recipes and even showed me techniques on how to bake pies and other scrumptious food.

"Ah, I see. Good luck, lady (y/n)." Aleksander cast a small smile and hastily walked off. I went inside the kitchen with a surprise look on my face to see the marbled floor in a mess of flour and egg shells. "What happened here, Sophie?" I asked with a gasp, walking inside to see them covered in many stains.

"I'm sorry, my lady! It's just...we don't really know how these things work!" Sophie cried with her head down, "If only the cook is here, then it surely wouldn't be a problem!" Andrea said, burying her hands to her face in defeat. "Please calm down, ladies. I'll help you make it." I gave a reassuring smile as I took one of the aprons that hanged, wrapping it around me.

"Lady (y/n), I don't think you should!" Sophie bit down on her lip, "I used to cook and bake a lot with the chef from the manor, so this is no big deal ladies." I explained while pointing at the ingredients we needed.

As I told them how to make the custard pie step by step, I couldn't help but plaster on a smile throughout the process. These past few months, I didn't even know how much I had grown so close to these ladies and the other royal members as well.

It made me realize that I felt at home in the castle, even if it has just been months. But one thing always occupied my mind, and it felt like a homework in my labyrinth mind. I couldn't seem to muster up the courage to tell myself how I really felt for my husband.

And as rumors circulated around with him having an affair with princess Eirene, the more I felt mixed with emotions. One had said that they had fallen in love in the ship, while other's say he was having an affair with other princesses.

As much as I didn't want to believe them as they were only rumors, I just felt very pessimistic. "My, my, (y/n), that smell's delightful! Custard, perhaps?" we heard the queen's voice from behind, making the giggling maidens come to a halt of silence and greet her majesty.

I turned around and curtsied, while mumbling to keep an eye out of the oven to Sophie. "Yes, your majesty. I made it just the way at home!" I cast a closed-eyed smile to her majesty's way, "You're a very sweet girl, (y/n). It gives me comfort that you care about my son." she caressed her cheek with a sincere tone on her voice.

"Of course, your majesty. He is my husband now, after all." I replied softly, the words that rolled out of my tongue feeling foreign. The queen darted her eyes to the maidens then back to me, "Care for a walk, (y/n)?" she raised a brow.

I nod my head without hesitation, Sophie walked behind me and helped me untie the apron as I thank her.

I looked at the glass window, darting my eyes from beyond the beautiful garden from outside with the sun shunning so bright in each windows. "I've been observing you for a while, (y/n). And I can see that you must still be troubled with my son," the queen frowned and forced out a chuckle, "But I know that you will make a good wife. For I wasn't that good of a mother to Nikolas." the queen beamed, trying not to make a face.

"Well, I'm sure you could have been the best mother You could have been, your majesty." I replied back with ease, "I was so tough on Nikolas, it's probably why he's a very troubled man. Don't you think, (y/n)?" the queen looked at me at the corner of her eye while we walked.

"I don't think so, your majesty. My mother, duchess (l/n) was also very tough on me. But I learned that she only cared for my own sake, and I'm sure Nikolas understands the same way." I answered with a quiet laugh.

After our talk, her majesty excused herself to attend some of her duties.

As I walked back inside the kitchen, I was in time for the custard. "Your highness." Liv greeted from inside with the other ladies while I put on the red baking gloves. When Andrea opened the oven, I was struck with the sweet aroma of the baked custard that made my mouth water.

I took it out of the oven and placed it on the counter top. "Your highness, the prince has arrived!" said one of the maidens that hurried inside the kitchen, making my heart skip a beat. I took off the gloves and smoothened the wrinkles of my dress, "Would anyone be so kindly to put the custard pie to the dining hall?" I looked around, "I can do it, your highness." Liv responded immediately.

I cast a smile and nod my head, "Very well, please be careful it's hot." I said while she put on the baking gloves. Liv picked up the steaming custard pie with trembling hands with my gaze fixated on her.

Liv took a step forward and before she could go forward, she tripped and lunged the custard pie over to my forearm. I staggered back while the other ladies screamed and came to my aid, I hissed in the sudden strike as it started to reddened.

"I...I'm very sorry, lady (y/n)!" Liv cried with the custard pie still on her grasps. "It's fine, Liv," I sighed and pushed my burnt arm close to my stomach. "I'll be fine, ladies. Please go attend your duties." I gave them all a reassuring nod, while others whispered.

I turned to my heels and left the kitchen.

As I went down the stairs to the main room of the palace, the door burst open as the servants lined up both left and right in greeting, "Where is my wife?"