31.

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE.

               IT WAS ALWAYS GOING to be a big wedding.

That was what Felicity continued to tell herself as she peeked through the crack of the church door, desperate to catch a glimpse of all those people that she would soon be standing before, in just under ten minutes time. It was always going to be full of relatives and business partners and all of those tedious family friends that Felicity had thought she would never be forced to make polite conversation with ever again when she ran from the Woods' household over seven years ago. 

"Are you ready?" John Woods asked his daughter gruffly. 

She only nodded ― not sure if the words were lodging themselves in her throat out of pure fear about the coming events, or whether she just despised the man so much that she hadn't the energy to utter a single syllable to him.

He looped his arm through hers without another word ― without asking her, much to her annoyance ― and whilst she shivered at the contact, she wouldn't have dreamed of pulling her grip from his for fear that she might cause more trouble for her and Tommy's day than she already had. The doors were pulled open before them, revealing a packed church and more light and hope and dreams than she could have ever imagined. Rows of family friends, both Woods and Shelbys, fell before her: their wide―eyed gazes dropping onto her figure, taking in the snow white dress that took in her frame and contrasted every ounce of bubbling guilt that overwhelmed her with its own sense of purity and innocence. . . the innocence that she once felt had possessed her entire being, but now thought was gone and had been replaced with a traitorous yet naïve personality.

Yet she smiled, plastering the happy beam on her features as though the day was actually the one she had dreamed of. Because Tommy couldn't suspect a thing ― not yet, anyway. Not when he was standing at the end, his shoulders pushed back as a smile threatened to take over.

Felicity caught sight of the Shelby siblings sitting to the right of her, all wearing pleased grins as they watched their blonde, soon―to―be sister in law make her way before them with her arm in her father's and a façade of happiness greeting them. Ada looked particularly elated, as the night before's antics had led to her having a slither of doubt about the wedding as a whole. Not enormous doubts, as she presumed that every bride had anxieties on the evening before marriage. She knew that she had, although she had just reckoned that that was because she was marrying someone of whom her brothers had grown to dislike and distrust. 

After what felt like an eternity and a half, Felicity reached the end of the aisle and a wave of slight relief filled her at that, because the procession was at least on its way. She faced her father, kissed his cheek, as though all of her inner turmoil and raging, trembling guilt had not been caused by him. He smiled, kissed her cheek back, and wished her a lifetime of happiness. Felicity nodded, and left his side to go and stand by Tommy's, who had his eyes fixed on John Woods as though he were a hawk. . . but quickly pulled his gaze away as the blonde came to stand in front of him.

"Hello," he greeted her quietly, now able to show his smile fully as Felicity presented her own.

"Hello," Felicity whispered in return, as his hand took in her veil and slowly, carefully lifted it so that her smile was clear for everyone to see. 

"Are we ready to begin?" Jeremiah Jesus asked the pair, standing barely a foot away, when really it felt like miles to the couple, as both Tommy and Felicity had eyes for only each other. 

Even if she was shaking like a leaf, scared out of her wits that she had fucked it up so much that it wouldn't be fixed later on, she allowed herself to believe that everything was okay, that both he and her would be alright. Because what do you know? The girl would be an optimist until her last breath.