Chapter 3. Wake Up to a Splash of Water

A tea cup was crisply set aside on a plate.

Lucilline's pale skin glowed within the rays of the lamp. It was nighttime, and a crescent moon hung in the dark void-like sky. His eyes fell to look at the pile of paper across his desk. After writing down plenty of notes, Lucilline had finished his work.

"Young Master, are the papers done?" Willow asked.

Lucilline took the pile of paper off his desk, then handed it into Willow's arms. "Yes, you can look it over and check for mistakes."

"I doubt there would be any." Willow spoke. She went over the papers, her eyes scanning the surface at an alarmingly fast pace. "Mhm." She smiled. "As expected. Young Master truly never makes any mistakes."

Lucilline steadied his cheek on a slender palm.

He spoke leisurely, "Of course. I never make any mistakes."

Willow arched an eyebrow. She lowered his eyes, which landed on the sight of Lucilline's fingers. His thumbs fumbled and rubbed against each other, stroking every knuckle cleanly. Willow straightened her back, and said blatantly, "Why is Young Master nervous?"

Lucilline quickly sat up straight in his seat. "I'm not nervous."

"Young Master," Willow deadpanned. "Your hands are touching each other. This is a common trait of yours when you're nervous."

Lucilline pursed his lips. He changed the subject quickly, "Right, did you deliver the quartz earrings to Father? Is he doing well? Did he say anything to you?"

Immediately, Willow's mood diminished. Her heels tapped the ground anxiously, "I-I didn't see him in person, but I made sure that he got the earrings. He was probably... very happy. Young Master, you needn't worry about him." Then, she returned back to the original subject.

"Young Master, don't use Grand Duke Rubius to hide the truth. This is the evidence; the absolute truth. Are you still willing to say that you're not nervous?" Willow settled her hands on her hips.

Knowing that he couldn't argue back, Lucilline fell silent.

Willow sighed. "Young Master, you can inform me of what's bothering you. I am willing to hear about your troubles. After all, I am your servant. If I can't do something as simple as this... then it means I am truly incompetent. So, allow me to listen."

Lucilline studied the expression of Willow. She wore a calming yet determined look. With one glance and Lucilline could tell that his maidservant was feeling genuine.

He sighed, "Fine. It's only a meek matter, but sure, I'll tell you."

Willow straightened up after hearing that. She felt tension scrutinizing every marrow of her bones, as her ears heightened.

The light of the lamp shone on Lucilline's pale skin, as he expressionlessly explained. "I was thinking about the carriage accident from this afternoon. The horses are supposed to be tamed, but something agitated them into becoming wild. I can't think of anything from that moment which might've shocked them. It could've been that they were suddenly hit... but who would do such a thing?"

He fiddled with his thumbs, which were slender and yet long. "Could it be the owner of the carriage? When we checked, there were nobody inside the carriage."

Lucilline's eyes flickered from his hands to Willow. "What do you think?"

Being called out on, Willow automatically stiffened. She blurted out mindlessly, "I think that the culprit of this incident is really seeking for death! To try and offend the Duke Rubius family, their courage must be unlimited! Don't worry, Young Master! With me by your side, you don't need to panic! I will crush the limbs of whoever dares to mess with you! I will make sure they never walk on this land again!"