Chapter Eighteen: Inevitable

Nikolas's POV

Night crawled by in an instant. Being with (y/n) always made my day role around in a haste. I stared at her sleeping body, remembering the cherished moment we held earlier. I stroke my fingers to her cheek, (y/n) turned her sleeping head towards me as I smiled.

I never felt so happy, so alive. It was a foreign feeling, and to think that I could have just used her to get me as crowned prince. Instead, I fell to her heels. I admired her beauty, the dark circles under her eyes, the hair that stood and got in the way of her precious face.

Even her flaws made her beautiful. I touched her dried lips as I leaned in and kissed her softly, not once did I let go of my gaze from her. "I love you, (y/n)," I whispered.

I walked out at the balcony while buttoning up my white shirt, the moonlight seemingly so serene.

The palace was quiet as the ball had ended early for I was not there to entertain guests. How could I when my wife wasn't there. I couldn't endure much more without (y/n), and I already did my duty as crowned prince. To defeat that vile monster.

I sighed and went out of the room, taking one last glance at (y/n) before taking my leave from the chamber. I walked down the long, dark hallway with the night sky the only source of my light. I knocked on the door softly as the door opened with Liv peeking with a blush, "Your...your highness, you were asking for me?" she asked with a small, sweetly smile.

She put a strand of her hair behind her ear and walked backwards, letting me enter inside her chamber. I looked around the small room, the candle light flickered with shadows that cast through the red wallpapers.

"I didn't seem to have met you back in the ball, (y/n) had told me so much things about you, lady Liv." I winked, taking her hand and kissing the top of her knuckles with my eyes fixated right at her. Liv covered her mouth with her hand and giggled, "You don't need to be so formal with me, your highness." she twist and turn, with her foot slowly tapping the ground.

"A pretty like you shouldn't be disrespected in any way, lady Liv," I replied with surprise, intertwining my hand with hers. "Come with me, lady Liv. I want to show you something." I chuckled, taking her out of the room while we strolled out of the palace in a hurry.

"This is a lovely garden, your highness." Liv complimented without enthusiasm, looking around as I let go of her hand. I looked at the corner of my eye to the left to see a shadow lingering from afar, I darted back and wiped my hand to my side.

Liv turned around with a red rose in hand, laughing to herself. "This rose smells so lovely, your highness!" she said while I looked at her with my mouth agape and eyes as wide as a circular bowl. I staggered back speechless with knuckles clench, "That's a wrong move, my lady." a voice said from behind her.

Liv dropped the flower to the floor and turned around in a gasp, stepping on my roses that I tended for years. I clenched at the back of her neck, making her scream as Maven muffled her. "How dare you ruin my roses! That was for (y/n)! My wife! It wasn't yours to take, you imbecile!" I said in rage, pinching the bridge of my nose with an annoyed huff.

"I'm...I'm sorry your highness! Please let go!" Liv cried, with tears going down to her cheek like waterfalls. I roughly pushed her away as Maven pulled her behind to face me with an axe to her throat. Liv stood there like a statue while I bent down and took the roses that she ruined.

I gazed back up at her with cold eyes, twiddling the stem of the rose with my fingers. "Please, your highness! I'll...I'll leave! I swear I'll leave the palace and I swear I won't tell anybody!'' Liv stuttered with panic written all over her uneased eyes that looked in every direction rather than me.

I threw the rose from behind me and walked forward, putting a hand to her chin. She looked at me with her teeth greeted, "Alright, then let's play a game," I let out a quiet laugh and clasped both of my hands.

"Maven, let go of her." I demanded as he did. Liv looked at me with a puzzled look, taking a few steps back away from us with her tremoring feet. "I would give you ten seconds to run away from the castle, lady Liv. And after ten seconds, Maven will hunt you down," I explained with a beaming, bright smile with my eyes closed.

"Now run, lady Liv. Run as fast as you can." I fluttered my eyes open, the smile that I wore vanishing. Liv bolted out of the garden with a huff, trying her best to get away. "Your highness, do you think she can escape?" Maven questioned with concern.

I let out a cackling laugh, "Nonsense! I told the sentinels to close off every door from every exit, so of course not!" I shrugged both of my shoulders, "Now go catch that rabbit." I glared with crossed arms.

Maven nod his head and began to run, trying to catch his prey. I stretched my back and took my leave, going back inside the chamber as I hug (y/n) close. I covered her ears and closed my eyes, hearing a faint, agonizing scream from outside.