Chapter 91

They watched Klaus break down.

The memory of that horrific day replayed in his head over and over, tormenting him. How she'd screamed out for him to save her. How he'd failed to do so.

"NO!" he'd yelled when he realized what had happened. He sped to her side, catching her body as it fell. Her eyes were wide open, the ghost of her last words still on her lips. "Esmeray— love— no, NO!"

Greta was still laughing behind him. Unable to contain himself, he sped to her, ripping her heart out in the same way. Elijah made to retaliate, but Klaus shoved him aside, picking up Esmeray's body and cradling her in his arms as he sat down, waiting for Hayley to wake up.

By the time she did, Elijah was gone. Klaus had gotten a text that Freya had found Hope, and they were in New Orleans. He hadn't told anyone yet.

"Oh, my head," groaned Hayley, sitting up. She could hear sniffling. Sitting up, she saw Klaus, and then, Esmeray, her eyes now closed.

"Oh my god," she said, jumping back and covering her mouth. "No... but— but how—?"

"Elijah," said Klaus weakly, his face caked in tears. He'd been stroking his wife's face for so long already, wondering if some miracle would restore her life.

Hayley got to her feet and started to hyperventilate, moving off to the side and nearly throwing up. Klaus heard her choke out a sob, and he shut his eyes tightly, feeling the body in his arms growing colder and colder.

Hayley had been the one to call Freya to tell her what had happened. Klaus's hands weren't steady enough to hold a phone. The news had spread quickly.

Klaus had never seen such a funeral.

The Bayou was more crowded than he'd ever seen it. There were wolves from all over the world present, standing as close to the edge of the water as they could. Klaus could recognize several faces: Aaron and Nat Campbell, as well as their daughters Lyla and Anya. Many of the young adults who Esmeray had helped with their transition spell. Even some of the small children she had fostered over the years.

Even the witches and vampires (not the ones aligned with Greta) had been in attendance. Vincent Griffith and Marcel Gerard stood with their communities, each off to the side to give the wolves their space to honor their Queen.

Nearest the front were the most familiar faces. Klaus, astral projecting, could see that the entire Mystic Falls group had attended: Damon, Bonnie, Stefan, Elena, Caroline, Enzo, Alaric, the Saltzman twins, Tyler Lockwood, Matt Donovan, and Jeremy Gilbert. He wished he could have shaken Damon's hand. He wished he could have found a way to comfort him, seeing the distraught look on his face. He'd never thought he'd see the day where Esmeray died.

Hayley and Hope were standing by Josh, Aiden, Davina (with Kol and Rebekah on a call, watching), Freya, and the projection of Klaus. As the Crescent Alpha, Hayley was the one who'd made all the arrangements.

Esmeray had wanted her Crescent burial. With a little boat, they'd laid her body to rest under silk teal sheets embroidered with an 'MP' for Mikaelson-Poldark.

Many spoke on her behalf before the boat was sent out into the water. They told funny stories from when they'd first met Esmeray. They shared their appreciation for all her work rebuilding communities and helping children find loving homes.

Hayley and Hope had just been about to use the ceremonial torch to light the boat on fire when the illusion of Klaus faded. There was a pause, and he appeared, seconds later, to take the torch from them.