[ 13 | firewhisky made me do it ]

THE MUSIC WAS ALREADY BLARING,
Lucy's own heart was drumming by its influence. She could almost already see the bright, flashing lights all over the common room, how they made it even more red than what it already was. Could already smell the smoke, the drinks, the closeness of people. It was her scene, it was her scene, it was her scene.

But her feet remained glued to the same spot on the ground, where the air was still clear, the castle softly lit, and she was still alone. It almost felt like the more appealing option. But she should be happy– she was. She was grateful that Melody (because it always had to be her) had taken the time to plan such an impromptu party to celebrate their team. She was grateful Madam Pomfrey knew exactly what to do to let her out in a jiffy (she probably did know what they were planning). But it sure did seem like an exhausting day to be herself.

"Feeling well, Lucy?" Strangely, she was not tired for Edward's presence. He had a surprisingly mellow quality to him.

"Just reloading the batteries." She shrugged, for lack of a better way to express I'm trying to decide how I'm going to act.

Edward didn't question her when she didn't want to. She appreciated that about him. "Congratulations for today. Your whole team." He nodded, "I don't suppose you're injured anymore?"

"Thank you." She smiled with closed lips, grabbing the snitch from her pocket to take another look at it. It was rather pretty, meticulously pretty, when it wasn't zooming away, "No. It was nothing critical. And Poppy works wonders," She explained, "Good to go in, then?"

"Of course. After you."

Swarmed. A hazy, blurry swarm. She was used to greeting people, but this was truly something else. She had barely glanced at one person before the other was already congratulating her, shaking her hand, pulling her into a tight hug, she even felt a cople kisses on her cheek, which honestly may have ben a bit much. Was that how celebrities felt like every day?

"Lucy! Where were you in the changing rooms? We missed you so– ouch!" Hector Holland was interrupted by Aurora classily flicking him on the head. "We did miss her! Not like that– I mean, a bit like that, ouch! Blanc!"

"Oh, you just keep calling for such measures, is all," Aurora said politely, quickly disappearing into the crowd once again.

"It's a joke! But I'll bet you did miss James, didn't you? Missed the exclusive view?"

"Hector, I've no idea what you're talking about," Lucy said, smiling lopsidedly, "Sounds like you liked the view, though. Interesting." She winked, clapping his shoulder.

What was it about her and James? In terms of dodging the subject, Lucy considered herself exceptional. There was nothing she wanted to speak of, and nothing existent to speak of. She was used to the question, and all its colourful variants and side effects— the dirty looks, the knowing ones, the invasive nature. But it was so painfully obvious there was nothing more. They worked because they didn't cross that line.

'We would absolutely kill each other', Lucy chuckled at her own thought.

"My Queen! She's here!" Lucy grinned at the familiar voice. Sure, it was a bit overboard of Fred to stand on top of a table to announce it, but it was the sentiment that counted.

With a helping hand from him, Lucy stepped onto the table, as well. Faces were a bit clearer from that height. Lively, intrigued faces, that did not just belong to Gryffindors. Somehow, they felt far away from her. Like they were staring at her through a looking glass, trapped in the other end. Maybe it was her who was trapped.