8: He Is Back

Lailah DK

I could feel a hand holding onto mine. I shrieked, who was it that was clinging onto my arm so delicately? I didn't want to open my eyes, I wanted to continue feeling the peace that came with the touch against my skin. I felt very safe for the very first time.

"I know you are awake, DK" I heard a voice I knew very well say. I opened my eyes slowly to find the prince holding onto my arm. I immediately jerked my arm away from his grip and he rolled his eyes.

"Oh please, I was only checking your pulse. And also why did you faint?" He asked. With his eyes bulging out of their socket.

"I don't know, it's not like I made myself faint" I replied rudely with a loud hiss making their way out as I stood on my feet. Shit, that was very unprofessional of me. But then, he seemed to ignore my words.

"Where are you going to? You are sick" he said.

"I'm okay your highness and I promise this will never happen again," I said.
"Do not make a promise you might never be able to keep" He said. I rolled my eyes. I could still see his figure before mine and I knew him being here will never be a good sign. The man who caused the shock that made me collapse, I didn't know what he was doing here but it will never be a good thing.

"Your Highness it's almost midnight and you are to be home by now," I said. He rolled his eyes and sat down flatly on the Sofa.

"There's no way I'm going home this late, we'll sleep here today," He said whilst yawning.

"Okay then, I'll accompany you to your room. May we go your highness?" I said. I didn't understand the joke in my words because he immediately burst out laughing loudly.

"This is my room, you can sleep on the bed since you are sick though. And note, it's just because you are sick" He said.

"No your highness, how can I take your bed? I'll sleep outside, you can take your room. I'm so...ehm, sorry" The last word came out like a squeaky noise. I do not ever use it.

"You are sick, sleep on the bed. And I'll be okay on the Sofa, it's just the remaining 4 more hours until daybreak. I can handle that" He said. I looked at him calmly and nodded. I laid down on the bed, I was still feeling sleepy and my head was heavy. The thought of the image I saw was still lingering in my mind. How could it be that he was still alive? I breathed in and out.

"You do know I can hear you breathing loudly right?" He said.

"I cannot sleep," I said. My voice sounded rather too distant. A feeling I had never felt for a long time was taking over my heart once more, The feeling I felt when I lost everything. I was very scared. The prince got up calmly and walked to the bed and sat.

"Are you okay?" He sounded a bit worried.

"No, I'm not!... I mean I'm okay. It's just, Nothing" I was trying my best to push the tears in. I was very scared. I couldn't do it, the tears came running out. "I lost them that day," I said.

"Lost who?" He asked.

"I'm sorry I shouldn't be speaking about this, I'm so weak. I don't know what's wrong with me" I said. He looked worried as he stared at me.

"Speak about it, it'll help," He said. I looked at him with tears cascading down my eyes.

"It was the year 2005, I lost everything. You won't understand though, it's not easy to take in. Good night, I'll sleep now" I said. My voice was shaking. He looked really confused but didn't say Anything. He just went and lay on the Sofa. I laid my head slowly back on the pillow, I closed my eyes while reciting surat ul Maryam. I recited the whole surah that night with my eyes close. Suddenly sleep took over and I found the peace I was craving.

*~*
My heart was beating at an abnormal pace, it was only when I had opened my eyes that I realized I was dreaming. I breathed in and out slowly while wiping the bid of sweat that had formed on my forehead. I looked towards the place where The prince was laying and saw his attention engrossed on his phone as he spoke happily.

"How's that bodyguard of yours?" A feminine voice asked. It seemed he was making a video call, from the ray of light I could see from the curtains. I knew it was already morning, but luckily I was off salat so I didn't care to pray. I simply thanked God for sparing my life today, Alhamdulillah. (Glory to Allah).

"The weird woman is still asleep, she's so lazy and can you believe she didn't even budge when they were calling the Adhan? Yesterday she fainted, I think she's experiencing spiritual problems because she keeps shouting in her sleep. The girl isn't normal, I did tell you" The prince had said. What a fool, if only he knew the true reason for my unconsciousness he would be terrified. We were in the lion's den.

"You mean you both slept in the same room?" The Woman asked.

"Yeah, but I slept on the sofa, Chill babe. You know I'm not gay, I can't touch a man like myself" They both laughed in unison. I remained still on my bed. I didn't even budge, you'd be certain I was dead if only I wasn't breathing.

"I know babe, I trust you. What's that name of hers again?" The woman asked.

"DK" He responded.

"Ewwww, it sounds manly" The woman giggled.

"Yeah, well baby. I'll speak to you in the evening. I'd have to wake this man up, we are leaving soon" He said "I love you" he added. Oh, he was speaking to his girlfriend.

"I love you too," She said. I remained the way I was. I didn't move until he used a clothes to lightly hit my leg while calling my name.

"Dk" He called aggressively when I didn't seem like I would wake up.

"DK" He called again but this time he shook me. Feeling his arm on my body made me move fast, I immediately grabbed his hand in a reflex action. I opened my eyes to look at him.

"Oh, Your Highness it's you" I feigned ignorance.

"Get up and get dressed, we are leaving this instant," He said.

"Oh," I said again. I got up and simply wore my jacket which was left on the bed. I didn't wash my face nor brush my teeth. I just ambulated towards the door before waiting in front of it.

"Your highness, can I wash my face in your Bathroom?" I asked. He nodded while pointing towards a door in the room. I walked in and sulked my face with water, I looked at the big mirror in front of me. My eyes looked scarce of peace, I want to do nothing but scream because I was already tired of this life. I wanted peace but to my dismay, from the moment I took up this battle, I knew I would be deprived of anything associated with the word serenity. I knew I was in trouble and I shall fight till my last breath until the culprit behind my misery is put behind bars or better still DEAD.