I'm Remembering This

All the air is knocked out of him when he sees her. It's been 80 years but she's everything he remembers and more.

He could stand there and look at her forever, she is so beautiful. He never thought his years of torment would come to an end but he knows she's his salvation.

She just stares back at him in awe.

It's her Jaime, he's right in front of her. Of course he looks quite a bit different but she'd recognize him anywhere.

She begins to move slowly towards him. She's scared if she moves too fast he will disappear like a mirage.

They are both completely and utterly locked in on each other that they don't notice Steve and Peggy walk out of the room.

As she approaches, he stays incredibly still. He's paralyzed by both love and fear.

She stops a couple feet away and lifts up her hand but freezes. She doesn't know what she'll do if he's not real. She doesn't want to ruin this if this some illusion.

She has to know though if he's truly here with her.

She reaches out and touches his cheek.

He's solid and warm and most importantly, he's really here.

"Jaime?" She whispers.

He hasn't heard her say his name in so many years and he's never heard a better sound.

He doesn't know how he finds his voice but he does.

"It's me, Ellie," he whispers back.

They can't handle it anymore and they reach for each other at the same time.

She throws her arms around his neck and he grips her waist in his.

When their lips meet, it's the most euphoric thing either of them had felt in their entire lives.

They were here together when they had believed it was an impossibility for so long.

He lifts her up and she wraps her legs around his waist, bringing them even closer.

She lets her hands tangle in his now long hair and Bucky can't explain how much he missed her hands on his body.

They kiss until they run out of oxygen.

She leans down and presses their foreheads together.

He looks so different but his eyes will always be the same. Not just the color but the look in them as he looks at her. She has missed that look.

"How?" She asks incredulously.

"It's a really long and sad story but it's okay because we are together. We will always be together, I promise," he says.

He was always adamant about not making promises he couldn't keep to her but this promise he would keep.

He would let nothing separate them. This was it, they would be together for the rest of their lives, he would make sure of it.

He can see she has tears in her eyes and wipes them away with his right hand while supporting her body weight with his left.

"Happy tears," she says with a beaming smile.

She unwraps her legs from him but Bucky wishes she wouldn't. She wasn't heavy at all and he wanted to keep her as close as possible for as long as possible to make up for all the years they were apart.

He can't believe he ever considered not coming back. He was so glad that Steve gave him that letter because he might regret it forever if he didn't come back with him.