Council

Back again with a quicker update!!! Let's hope I can keep this up!

-------------------

Our first night together felt like our time in New York; Blissful. My arrival was kept a secret, so no one came to visit the estate. Dominic had to leave me alone in the evening to finish paperwork, which gave me time to unpack my things and get situated. Soon, he was back in our bed, showering me with love and affection.

I woke up after Dominic. He was already dressed in a black suede suit by the time I sat up in bed. He walked over to me to give me a kiss.

"Work so soon?"

"Yes, I have to prepare for the council's arrival."

"Council? What council?"

"The council of famiglias. It's just my uncles or my Father's friends over the years. We are a collective. We have a council to make sure that our joint businesses and famiglia name hold power."

"Why are they coming?"

"Because I went off the deep end. The council wants to come to see if I truly reclaim to my sense or if I need to replace."

Instantly the guilt of our past filled my stomach. I am to blame for Dominic losing himself and essentially ruining his business. First, his close guard had to take over the company because he was a drunk mess. Now, his business and livelihood are at risk because of me.

"Don't be worried. I am fine; money is coming in, and now your back. Besides, my meltdown doesn't compare to the other meltdowns in the council. Mine is minor compared to my uncles." Dominic reassured.

"Do I need to be there...you know to show a united front?"

"No, love, but there is something you can do. One of my Father's friends in the council has found a relatively younger wife. She's twenty-one and still adjusting to your lifestyle. But, unfortunately, he has to bring her with him because the last time he left her at home, she set the guest wing on fire." Dominic chucked.

"She set the house on fire!?" I shrieked.

I can't lie...I've contemplated setting Dominic on fire when I hated him, so I understand the hate this woman must feel for her husband. However, I can't believe she actually did so.

"Yes, I thought you were a firecracker, but that girl respectfully deserves that title. Anyways, I need you to entertain her while we meet. Keep her calm, tell her your journey...just keep her from setting our house on fire."

"How do you expect me to entertain an arsonist?!"

"I'll have the maids set up the Loggia near the south entrance. Sip some wine and talk. Let her know there are consequences for her actions. It's better to come to a resolution than continue this war."

"What consequences would she face?" I wondered. Dominic and I were at war once upon a time, so I wonder what my future would look like if I continued.

"She would be eliminated," Dominic said harshly.

Dominic continued to get ready as I sat in bed in silence. The thought of someone being killed because they're trapped and unhappy in a loveless marriage hurts me deeply. Who knows how she got into this world, but I can tell you that this like isn't for the weak. The mere idea that my fiancé is a drug-dealing killer who controls most of Europe is mind-shattering enough. She must be scared and angry as any woman should be. I can't wait to talk to her; maybe I can be a friend in this stressful situation.