Ain't that a Shame

It wasn't so bad being in the tower.

Well, that was because Daniel no longer felt like he was dying. He felt good, better. Daniel expected the serum to wear off and have it bring back all that pain. But no.

Everything seemed good.

Daniel breathed deeply as he jogged on the treadmill. Unlike last time, he was able to be on the machine for half an hour. He wasn't so pale as before. His natural tone was returning unlike that sickly white he had earlier.

Everything seemed good.

There were no body aches or any pain from the withdrawal. It was amazing. It was as if he wasn't an addict. Well, it felt like that. Daniel is quite aware that he has a problem, more so problems but he will tend to one issue at a time. For now, drugs are the current issue.

A smile was on his face, giddy that he wasn't hunched over in pain. There was no music, just him and his thoughts. The only sound that could be heard is the sound of the treadmill, which wasn't loud, and the soft thuds of his feet on the machine. He just kept jogging. That was until his jogging turned to running.

Many thoughts crossed his mind, memories he didn't expect to see. Memories that he didn't think would come up at the moment.

He began to recall all the times he had ran away from something and towards something.

Never a moment of rest.

He is always running, running and running.

Why is he always running?

The smile on his face began to disappear. Without another thought, he stopped the machine and got his towel to wipe of the sweat from his forehead and neck. Daniel walked around, trying to quiet his thoughts.

"Can't shut me out, Danny? Pity"

A mocking voice said. Daniel closed his eyes, not wanting to hear that voice again. He has been free from that voice for years. Now, she's returned.

Fuck.

He opened his eyes when he felt her touch his cheek. Daniel was met with her eyes, such lovely shade of green. It wasn't a murky green. It was vibrant, like emeralds. A shade that wouldn't confuse a person whether her eyes were brown or green. Her eyes were a vivid shade of green. He could see flecks of gold in them, giving them such a vibrancy. Daniel remembers how lost he would get in her eyes. He would take notice of how they'd light up whenever she was happy, or when they would get dull when she was upset.

Daniel just knew that he felt at home whenever he looked into her eyes.

There would have been a time where he'd be happy seeing her, but not now. She's not here. She's gone.

Gone.

"What's wrong, honey? Missed me?" She smirked as she ran her thumb over his bottom lip. Daniel could feel her touch. His body still remembers her touch. The things he'd give for this to be true.

"You have no idea," he sighed with such sadness. It weighed on him, like bags of sand on his shoulders. She pouted, moving closer to him and wrapping her arms around his neck. Daniel didn't want to close his eyes, afraid that she'd leave.

But she always leaves in the end.

Daniel moved his hands to her waist, and he could feel her warmth. He could feel the soft fabric of her dress. Such a pretty dress. It was a yellow, summer dress that reached her knees. Daniel remembers when she wore it. It was when they took that vacation to Miami. Such wonderful memories.