Chapter 72

'i did it i did it i did it.' you think as you quickly jump away from mirio. your chest heaves up and down as you watch mirio stand up. even if it's just one hit, you'd take it as a victory since you watched all of your classmates drop dead without laying a finger on mirio. staying on high alert, you stare holes into the third year who makes his way to you.

"no ones landed a hit on me in a really long time! your quirk is pretty amazing first year!" he compliments. "thank you." you say, letting your guard down. before mirio can say anything else, you hear your classmates groan as they start to get up. you walk to where aizawa and shoto are still standing and shoto nods in approval. "good job rai." aizawa compliments, making you lean back on the wall with a smirk.

"since everyone's interested in my quirk, i'll explain it to you all." mirio says as everyone groups up. "can i tell them what it is? can i? it's permeation!" nejire buts in. "hado, let mirio explain his own quirk, would ya?" amajiki says.

"yup!" mirio says as he points at himself. "i got a sweet quirk called permeation. what you guys thought of as a warp was simply an alternative of that power."

"so how exactly do you warp?" izuku asks and you know if he had it on him, he would be jotting down every single word that comes out of mirio's mouth. "i activate my quirk in my entire body. then, i can pass through anything i want, no sweat. everything that includes solid ground." mirio explains and everyone listens in awe. "so that was you falling through the gym floor before?" uraraka asks.

"that's right. i went deep underground. then, whenever i release my quirk while falling, something super strange happens. apparently things with mass can't overlap, that's called physics. so i get repelled upward. this of it this way: the ground spits me out, and i fly up into the air."

"sounds like a funky video game." mina comments. "you're able to avoid attacks, you were born with a really strong quirk." tsu adds.

"that's not true, my quirk is only strong because i made it that way." mirio starts. "while my quirk is activated, my lungs don't take in any oxygen. even if i breathe in, the air will just pass through. in the same way, my eardrums don't work; and light can't go through my retinas. i can pass through everything but that means i can't feel anything while in that state. even though i have a body, i can't stop falling. that's why when i wanna go through something, i have to concentrate really hard. i'll activate everything except one leg; then i'll release the other leg and land on it. and then the first leg is the last to go through. even with a simple action like that, there are many tiny steps involved."

"man if i were in a hurry, i'd mess up every single time." kaminari says and mineta nods in agreement. "seriously, if you can't feel anything, how can you move?"

"growing up, i was always behind. i dropped dead last. in order to get this quirk to work, i had to think! i learned a few new tricks and above all, i learned to predict what would happen next. that's what made those predictions possible. this is why i wanted to fight you all. i'd show you through experience rather than just words. in our work studies, we're not treated like guests like at our internships. we're regarded as one of the side kicks! as one of the pros! it can be super scary but every scary thing you go through is an important experience you can't get inside a classroom. even at u.a. i transformed the experience i got from work studies into power. and that's why i think it's worth it no matter the scare. you with me first years?" mirio finishes.

"man he even gives pep talks like a pro..." ojiro whispers. "i can't believe he went through all of this just for us. even though he could've explained it." momo adds.

"so these really are different...it did kind of feel like i missed out on stuff in my internship." kaminari whistles low.

"yeah, they tried not to let us do anything dangerous." jirou rubs her neck. "guess it won't be that way during work studies." sero says while rubbing his chin.