Chapter 28: Our Last Summer

Flashback.
Five months ago.
Summer 2005.
Athens, Greece.

"Shh! Benji, shut the hell up. Do you want to go to fucking jail?"

"Relax, Lacy," I laughed. "We're not going to get fucking caught." I told her, deep down not knowing if that was true.

"You don't know that!" She whispered nervously.

"No way! I'm not doing this anymore. I'm going back." Audrey shouted.

"Fucking pussy." I laughed. "Suit yourself. You can go home for all I care. I'm going in."

"We're trespassing, Benji," Madison reminded me. "Come on, let's go back to the bar."

"I mean it. Go. I'm staying here." I told them.

"You're crazy, Benji," Lacy snapped. "I'm done with you. Let's go, girls."

I jumped over the fence as quietly as I could. This house is one of the largest houses in Athens, which meant they've got a shit load of goods. It's their fault for leaving all of that booze out on the patio. It was like they wanted someone to steal it.

I tip toed to the patio and hoped no one could hear or see me. I grabbed a few bottles and cringed when the glasses clinked together, creating a loud sound. I decided to take a few more and call it a night.

I made my way back to the fence and held my breath the entire way.

"Going somewhere?" The voice of a young girl said to me and I knew my cover was blown.

"Shit," I muttered. I slowly turned around only to see a beautiful young woman staring back at me, a glass of wine in her hand.

She smiled and walked toward me right after switching on the patio light, to get a better look at me.

"Who are you? Why are you stealing from us?" She asked, staring into my eyes.

"Shit, I'm sorry." I apologized. I continued to admire her features—her beautiful features. "I didn't think anyone would notice." I dropped the bag carefully on the ground and backed away. "I'm going now, okay? I'm sorry."

"Hold on there." She stopped me. "What's your name?" She didn't seem mad. She almost seemed like she liked me too. "You're beautiful," she said.

I chuckled. "Benji," I answered as I stared at her lips.

"Benji..." she pondered. "You are an American, Benji?"

I nodded. "Yes. I am an American."

"It's always the Americans." She chuckled. "They're all thieves."

"That's not true." I smiled. "Just me."

She smiled back. "You can keep the alcohol," she told me. "I don't care for it. It's all belongs to my father, anyway."

"Are you sure?" I asked. "I don't want to get you in trouble."

"Nevermind that." She smirked. "Can we go for a walk, Benji?"

I blushed. "What's your name?" I asked, smiling like an idiot.

"Ophelia," she answered with an equally bright smile on her face. "About that walk?"