⚜Chapter 2: One Year in Hell

A/N: 10.06.2021

Random question, but how many languages can you speak?

P.S: If you guys would like access to advanced chapters and quicker updates of "The Ranking System", you can join my Patreon!

The link is in my Wattpad bio ♡

⚜⚜⚜

"How did you manage to survive on your own?" the policeman asked, resuming where we left off.

"Is that a genuine question or a remark?"

"Eric-"

"Axis," I corrected acidly. If my wrists weren't cuffed, I would have knocked him off his chair. There was only one person who was allowed to call me by that name. 

I paused and stifled a pathetic laugh. 

Yeah, the same person who abandoned me.

I pushed the thought away for the millionth time but a bitter feeling remained.

"It's a genuine question," Mr. Cop said, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I became the city's youngest hitman and killed a couple of people to get some cash," I shrugged.

Mr. Cop and I obviously didn't share the same humor. All the lines on his face deepened. I said nothing at first. I glanced around at the grim cinder blocks, the tiny black video cameras that peered down from every corner before looking back at him.

"I had a couple of part-time jobs," I finally said.

"You're a minor."

"And you're an old fart."

His jaw tightened and I smiled.

"You'd be surprised by how many unpunished crimes happen in this city," I said with a Chesire grin. Mr. Cop, being the dumb and naive cop that he was, asked me what kind of jobs I did, who hired me, and where the locations were. But he should know by now that if I was unwilling to talk about my own life, then there was no way in hell that I'd snitch on someone else's. 

Besides, illegal or not, those jobs kept me alive. And the people who hired me were good people. Good people who did bad things because they struggled to keep their heads above the water. But they saved me.

Hiring a homeless orphan was cheap labor, but they never treated me badly. They took care of me and watched my back when no one else did. When I washed dishes, the restaurant owners would sometimes give me leftover food so I wouldn't have to worry about starving for the next couple of days. 

"Eri- I mean, Axis," he said. "I understand that you want to protect these people, but-"

"My lips are sealed," I cut him off. 

He opened his mouth and then closed it, blinked twice, then spoke.

"I'm sorry we couldn't protect you, Axis, I really am. I won't ask about your jobs, but can you answer this," he said. "How illegal were the jobs?"

My eyebrows quirked, confused by his question.

"They were honest jobs."

"You didn't..." he rubbed his hands together, looking uncomfortable. He then put his hand over his mouth and dragged it down his prickly jaw, then said, "You didn't do anything that required intimate services?"