⚜Chapter 8: Our Forever

A/N: 29.06.2021

Another update my loves ❣ If you'd like quicker updates and access to advanced chapters, you can join my Patreom! The link is in my Wattpad bio per usual. Chapter 28 is already released there 🙆‍♀️🙇‍♀️

How do you guys plan on spending your summer? 🌞☀️

Have you ever worked a part time job before?? What did you do and how was it??

⚜⚜⚜

The other orphans were playing in the playground. I waited until everyone was outside before sneaking into the kitchen. We weren't allowed inside, which was why I loved going there. I stole a chocolate cupcake from the tray and found some matches in one of the drawers. I snuck past the caretakers who were cleaning up the common room and went to the third floor. When I got closer to the door, I slowed down, steadying my breath so it didn't look like I ran. 

I opened the door and hid the cupcake and matches behind my back. Adam was sitting in his corner, waiting for me. He looked up, and a smile spread across his face. 

"Eric!" he exclaimed, scrambling to his feet. He ran towards me but was clumsy and fell flat on his face.

I grimaced. This was the boy I loved.

Adam slowly got on his feet, tears pricking his eyes as he rubbed his knees. He looked up and gasped with a smile, remembering that I was here and completely forgetting his pain. 

His dirty clothes hung loosely on his small shoulders and his disheveled hair fell over his eyes.

I smiled warmly. "Hey, I got you something."

I didn't show it, but I was nervous. I'd never given a present to someone. Adam looked at me with eager eyes, and I didn't want to disappoint him. We sat down, his arm against mine, and I revealed the cupcake. Unsure of how he'd react, I couldn't look him in the eyes and busied myself with lighting the match. We didn't have the luxury of celebrating with candles. When fire finally caught on the tip, I stuck it into the center of the cupcake. 

I finally looked up at him and smiled. "Happy birthday, Adam. Make a wish."

Adam looked like he was about to cry, but he squeezed his eyes shut and pressed his lips together. 

I scowled. "I said make a wish, not force a fart." The muscles in his face relaxed but his eyes were still closed. We sat in silence as he made his wish. He finally opened his eyes and blew out the fire.

I removed the match and divided the cupcake in two, giving him the bigger piece.

It was funny how Adam—a boy I met by coincidence, someone who I didn't even know existed—and I became inseparable. He was quiet and shy, and he'd follow me wherever I went. I quickly found myself getting attached to him, and even got protective over him.

Whenever he disappeared, I knew the other boys were up to no good. I'd pick fights with them and force them to talk, which cost me a couple of bruises and injuries. But I'd always find Adam in the end, and eventually, they left him alone. I didn't know why, but whenever he was hurt, I felt as if they were touching something precious to me. It was strange. I'd never treasured anything or anyone before.

Adam already finished his half, so I gave him mine. He shook his head, but I gave it to him anyway. 

"I'm not hungry. Besides, you need it more than I do," I said, adjusting his shirt that was falling off his shoulder. He hesitated but slowly began nibbling on the muffin. My eyes wandered towards the scars on his arms. They were too faded to be recent. He must have gotten them before he came to the orphanage.