Aftermath

Jane's emergency contact was Captain Bobby Nash. Bobby and Athena had gone out to dinner and had decided to stop by the bar that Chim had taken Hen, Buck, and Eddie to. They were all sitting at a large table, a few beers and various appetizers were scattered about. Bobby was drinking a soda and Athena, to show her support of his sobriety, was just drinking a glass of water. No one was drunk, but that buzz of a good time out was in the air. They were enjoying each other's company in those rare times that they were all together and not on duty. The only thing that would have made it better, the lot of them had said, would be if Jane had been able to come.

Chimney was just regaling them with another story of his numerous failings when Bobby's cell phone rang. Startled, as the people who would usually contact him were all sitting in front of him, he pulled the phone out of his pocket and stared at the screen. It read, Unknown Number.

"Who is it?" Athena asked, for a moment, it was a normal question initially, but Bobby hesitated, and the hesitation seemed to seep into the atmosphere and gradually choke the laughter from the room. Suddenly, the room of people and clanking glasses was too hot, too loud. The glasses they'd been holding were too slippery with condensation. It was all too much until Athena knew who was on the other end of that line.

"I have no idea." He responded, a bad, heavy feeling in his gut. Cautiously, he swiped the green phone icon.

"Hello." He answered warily, and then his body immediately tensed up. "Yes. This is Bobby Nash." His voice was hard and alert. Everyone looked at him, their conversations quieting as that heavy feeling began to spread. Chimney was frozen, mid story, arms still outstretched in exaggeration. They all felt it. "Yes, I am her emergency contact, what happened? Yes. Alright. Yeah. I'll be there. Is she alright?" there was a long silence. "I understand. Leaving now."

Bobby abruptly stood up, jostling into Athena, almost knocking her to the ground in his rush. The team were all looking at him with wide eyes, bodies tense and alert, ready to go. Athena, who'd been slightly frustrated at the sudden jostle, took in her boyfriend's face with its tense expression and was immediately on alert. Whoever had called, they hadn't delivered good news.

"I have to go." Bobby told them all. His hands were trembling violently as he frantically looked through his jacket pockets for his keys. When he finally pulled them out, his hand shook so bad that they fell to the floor. His obvious distress, if possible, put them even more on edge.

"Bobby," Athena spoke low and urgently, grabbing his arm tightly, trying to keep him grounded. It was as if she was trying to keep him with her, or she was insisting that she come with him, she didn't know what she was doing except to try to understand what was going on. "What happened?"

Before he responded, he bent over, picked up the keys, and on his way up, hit his head, causing the entire table to clatter. Bobby Nash wasn't a clumsy man.

"Dammit!" he shouted, his throat clogging up with emotion.

"Bobby! Calm down!" Athena ordered, grabbing both of his arms this time. For a moment he looked like he would cry or break down, instead, he closed his eyes and took a deep, trembling breath. "Talk to us," she urged. "Tell us what is happening."

"Jane," he gasped through his stress, "was attacked in her apartment. The 125 was on the scene. Her heart had stopped when they got there. She's at the hospital. I have to go. They wouldn't tell me anything else. I have to go."

"Cap." "Bobby!" Chimney and Hen shouted over each other, as both of their faces were marked with devastation. 

They'd been there, at the hospital when she lost her baby. They'd seen the wreck that her life had been, and they'd been proud to see how she was slowly piecing it back together. Now, it was like everything that had happened since then meant nothing. Jane was back in the hospital, and they had no idea how she was. They didn't know she was alive. Her heart had stopped. Even if she lived after that night, it didn't mean she would come back to them.