✍Grief

~

   After Jared fell to his death, Edrin felt a tinge of guilt but brushed it off.

He turned to his father who was already watching him. "Do we go down there to check, father?".

"There is certainly no need for that, son. The water is merciless, his body will soon be in bits before it even reaches the sea.    Now, let us return".

   The father and son walked out of the forest and mounted their respective horses.

King Grayson noticed the look of guilt on Edrin's face.
"Cheer up, son, you'll get used to it. Well, now I have to go. See you in a few days, send my regards to the Empress".

"Yes, father".

They each headed in opposite directions. King Grayson returned to the capital, while Edrin rode to Aakh.

***

    It took him weeks to arrive at the Imperial palace of Aakh where he and Kira were guests as per his father's request of the empress. He did not quite understand the nature of the business between his father and the empress that she'd help him with killing Jared who did her no wrong.

He decided to think less about the whole incident back in Verthona as he ascended the wooden steps of the ancestral palace to where his pregnant wife was kept. She was his utmost priority, no one else but her.

He entered the guest room where he found her sound asleep. There were burning candles and incense which had healing effects of some sort. The Aakhians were known to have been blessed with all sorts of herbs for the treatment of many ailments.

Quietly, he made his way to her bed, sat beside her, and caressed her face. "Finally, I have you all to myself".

She moved a little.

Moments later, she opened her eyes to see him, but what caught her attention the most was the unfamiliar room they were in.

"Where are we?"

He smiled. "We're in Aakh. How do you feel now, my darling".

Her eyes grew wide in shock. "What? But you said we were going to Talehan"

"I know. But on arriving there, I learnt that the healer is now in Aakh, so I had to come here".

"But, why did you not wake me up. How long does it take to come here? How couldn't I have woken up?".

"You were too tired my dear". He lied.

He recalled that he had kept her unconscious throughout the journey so that she would not object to him taking her a thousand kilometres away from her home.

"What about Bianca?". She asked, still confused.

"She went sightseeing, she'll be here soon".  Another lie.

She grinned, "Typical of Bianca".

He caressed her face some more.  "I will send for food. And in the evening, the maids will help you get dressed. You will come with me to see the empress who wishes to meet you".