Chapter-35

Here comes another two chapters like I had promised!

Btw this is the longest chapter ever.
5028 words!
Damn, I did set a new record;)

******

Nova

For the second time, I found myself hiding behind the curtains.
This time I wasn't pranking anyone but I knew eavesdropping on the whole meeting would get me in lot more trouble.
I have no choice but to do this because Nicholas won't tell me a damn thing.

And I knew something was off.

I waited for a while more and soon I could people walk inside and take their seats.
I was amazed to see the diversity among the council members. I didn't see just the Noblemen and the high ranking warriors.
There were all kinds of people here.
Old and young, wealthy and poor and the higher class and Commoners.
I was surprised to see there were even women.

"Settle down, ladies and gentlemen" I heard Carter's voice.

Suddenly the room went silent.
I carefully peeked out of the curtains, only to see Nicholas walking inside and the people bowing down in respect.

He took his seat on the throne and everyone followed after him.
Carter stood up and asked for permission and Nicholas nodded.

"I'm assuming you all are aware of the recent attacks by The Vultures. The sole purpose of this gathering is to decide what action is to be taken next. Let the assembly begin" Carter announced.

"May I speak, sire?" a sketchy looking man stood up, asking for permission.
"Go ahead, Vadim"
"My spies have been relentlessly searching for alibis but till now we had none. Recently the word has been out that the man leading The Vultures goes by the name, Velkan Vulturios. He is known to be the son of the late Victor Vulturios, your majesty"

Velkan Vulturios!
The name itself gave me the creeps.
What if he was the same guy who attacked me?

"How is that possible? We didn't know anything about Victor having a son until now. Are you sure this information is correct?" Carter questioned Vadim.
"I am positive about this, General" the guy replied.

"How does he look like?" Nicholas questioned.
"No one knows, sire. Alas, he wears a mask all the time"

My breath got caught up in my throat. I could see Nicholas clench his jaw as he and Carter shared a look. The masked man!
I'm the only one who's seen him twice now.

"Your Majesty, Lord Cartwright here has something to tell you" a woman spoke out.
"Speak"

A middle aged man got up. He must be Lord Cartwright.
"My King, I have reasons to believe that The Vultures have most probably gone to hiding in Tethoris. There are no instances of attacks on travellers going through the woods. There is absolutely no sigh or activity seen from past two weeks"

"They must be hiding out of fear" someone spoke up.

"It can either be an act of cowardice or they are gathering forces to attack" Nicholas said and many nodded in agreement.

"A war is brewing up" a feeble voice interrupted.

I saw an elderly man rise up slowly.

"All these years they did not dare enter the city and now all of the sudden we find them secretly ambush the guards inside the castle. What does this mean?" he questioned, looking at everyone.

No one knew that the actual attack was on me.

"They have gained power over the years" Carter mumbled.
"That's correct, son. They are preparing for the battle and we must too" he declared.
"Thank you for your wise counsel, Albert" Nicholas said in appreciation.
The old man bowed and sat down again.