thirteen - words

Anxiousness was what kept Selena standing on her feet. She took her time to compose herself. It should be easy. After all, she hadn’t stopped thinking about it. The deed should be a piece of cake but why did it terrify her when she was thinking of it now?

Selena’s knees quaked like an uneven stack of plates as she prepared herself, walking slowly towards his office.

There was that feeling in her heart. The same feeling she had when she first saw him. Her heart warmed and her throat began to dry as she arrived and faced his door. With one big breath, she opened the door and entered.

Nathaniel was sitting behind a desk littered with stacks of paper. Though he wasn’t working. He had the same look from before. So filled with dread and emptiness, it made Selena wonder how he was feeling.

He still wore the same clothes from when Katie landed herself in the hospital. The same shirt and trousers, though now they weren’t as clean as before. He didn’t look good too. The darkness around his eyes was proof of his lack of sleep.

Of course. He would stay up and do anything for Katie. He loved her more than himself.

“Alpha, I’m here.” She spoke after finding the strength to.

“Yes, about your membership but that’s now what I invited you here for.” He looked at her, his pain-slashed gaze capturing her the most. “Please, take a seat.”

He gestures to the chair in front of him. She obliged and pulled the chair back, shying away from his intense stare while doing so.

“It’s time for us to end things, Selena.” He murmured.

“W-what?” She replied breathlessly.

Selena wanted to believe that she was only hearing things. That the words from his mouth were a dream.

The sound of his sigh made her heart skip a beat.

“Would you please say that again?” She managed to look at him.

Nathaniel gulped before giving her his reply.

“I can’t look at you and pretend anymore. I know I’ve hurt you and that’s not okay.”

Her fingers prickled with a surge of uneasiness as his words sink in. He was serious. The way he spoke froze her.

“Why are you saying this now?”

“Prolonging this will only hurt you.” He reaches for his blade, the shimmering sharpness of it was blinding her.

He laid his hand on the desk, exposing the palm of his hand.

Was this it? Selena feared to ask. This was the moment that might truly break her. After all those days of wanting and hoping to leave him out of her thoughts, the day finally came.

But why was she so unprepared?

Before he could run his blade across his hand, Selena stood. The chair toppled over, the loud sound it created made Nathaniel pause and captured her within his eyes.

“How could you, Alpha Stormwind? Words matter to me most and you’re going to reject me without telling me why?” She shivered, now fuming in anger. “Your audacity truly knows no bounds.”

Nathaniel's tongue grazed over his lower lip as he put his blade aside.

“You want me to say the truth?”

She nodded.

“I deserve your truth even if you’ve already poisoned it with your lies.”

The light pouring out of the window failed to bring warmth into the room. As she stood with him, there was only the cold that radiated from their bodies. A hopeless and dark sensation formed in her depth, capturing everything but the emotions she tried to suppress.