Twenty One

*Alex's POV*

I strolled through the park, barely able to see anything in front of me due to the dark. After the news about Nancy, I hightailed it out of there to clear my head.

I kept internally questioning everything. Did Nancy tell the police it was me? If she didn't, is she hoping for something in return? Should I just hand myself in instead of facing the misery of servicing Nancy?

I made it to the top of the bridge and lent against the railing. The city looked so beautiful from up there, and it made me realise how truly small my problems were compared to the rest of the world.

I used the breathing exercises I was taught as a child to control my rapidly beating pulse, and returned to a calm interior.

After I had relaxed my body back to an acceptable level, I walked quickly towards Lindsay's house to escape the nipping cold.

Entering brought me joy as I was enveloped in warmth. I closed my eyes and moaned softly at the coziness of the house, but was rudely interrupted by the clearing of a throat.

Peeking through my heavy eyelids, I spotted an annoyed Jessica. Great, what did I do now?

I sighed loudly before collapsing on the couch, preparing myself for another lecture.

She sat her delicious ass on the sofa before asking, "why did you freak out when Lindsay announced that Nancy White woke up? Are you friends with her?"

"No!" I almost growled, and Jessica rose one perfectly sculptured brow.

"Then why were you shocked? You almost looked... scared?"

I hung my head but drew my eyes up slowly until they met with her pale blue ones.

"Unless..." she trailed off. She jumped up off the couch aggressively and shouted, "No. No, no, no. You couldn't have done that. I mean, you wouldn't. Would you?" The doubt in her voice hurt, but her assumption was right, regardless.

My silence obviously answered her question as she started ranting heavily.

"Who or what granted you the permission to beat someone so badly that they almost died!" She questioned, pacing around the room so much that I was starting to become dizzy.

"How could you do that to another human being, Alex? How? I didn't think that you were that type of person, but I guess I don't really know you at all."

C'mon Alex, use your words.

Before I could reply, Jessica stormed off to her room, leaving me hurt, confused, but most of all, scared.

~~~

The next morning, I tried to apologize and explain what happened with Nancy, but she wasn't having a bar of it.

Selfishly, I wanted a sounding board to share this information with, as it had been eating me up inside. I would usually turn to Lindsay, but I didn't want her involved in any of my crimes.

I tried to start several conversations with Jessica, but every time I was about to speak she'd change the subject to something else and involve Lindsay.

I also discovered that Linds was acting stranger than usual. Don't get me wrong, she's very strange already, but something about her behaviour just seemed off.

Throughout the whole day, Jessica either ignored me or was sarcastically polite. I was sick of her childish behaviour and just wanted her to listen.

So, in order to make her listen to what I had to say, I wrote a note. Two. Whole. Fucking. Pages. Long.

Not kidding, it was long, but I needed to explain my actions. I felt like she deserved to hear that much. However, I knew she wasn't going to open a letter if I just gave it to her, so I devised a plan to trick Jessica into opening my letter.

The day was coming to an end when I heard the doorbell ring from in my room. I smiled, knowing what it was, and hoped it would make Jessica acknowledge me.

"Oh! They're beautiful!" I heard Lindsay yell in her overly loud voice. I picked myself up from the bed and walked down the stairs.

Jessica stood holding a bright bouquet of purple geraniums with the biggest smile imaginable adorning her face.

"Yes, they are," she said, mystically. She lifted her head and spotted me at the foot of the steps. "My favourite."

Lindsay turned and spotted me, "Oo, Alex, look, my Mom got these beautiful flowers... from a secret admirer," she teased her Mom, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

I laughed joyously and shot a wink at Jessica while Lindsay was occupied teasing her. Jessica started to blush, and I was certain it was because of me.

"Awww... look at that, you're blushing Mom. You must really like this lucky man," she taunted, "or woman". Although she just added that cheekily, it made me wonder how Lindsay would react if she found out her Mom liked women.

She obviously wouldn't care, but could you imagine waking up one day and finding out your supposedly straight Mom was actually way gayer on the sexuality meter than originally believed.

Lindsay leaned down to smell the flowers and Jessica mouthed me a quick, "Thank you" as she brought her hand up to rest over her heart.

I just nodded, unsure yet if she had read my note. Jessica's happiness over the flowers was still radiating, and I was having a hard time not walking up to her and just ravishing her in my arms.

My mind was full of her. When I was awake, when I was asleep. When I was eating, when I was at school. It was all her. Jessica Maya Caldwell. The woman who was capturing my heart, one day at a time, and holding it hostage within her warmth and safety.

Her blonde hair reminded me of the sun; bright, fiery and hot. And those pale blue eyes, damn, did those do something to me. One look and I was gone. Enraptured by the waves of blue that made me feel at home. Made her feel like home.

I observed her from afar. Her smile, her laugh, her happiness. It made me smile, laugh, and feel happy. I had never experienced feelings like these. They were distracting and overwhelming, but they were the best feelings I had ever felt. I felt like I was filled with melted chocolate. I was warm, comfortable, and overjoyed.

I was not oblivious to my own emotions. I knew it. I was falling in love with Jessica Caldwell, and there was nothing anybody could do to stop it.

I was not even going to try and stop it. I wanted to love her, and I wanted her to love me.

I was going to make her my woman.

Thank you for reading!

Another chapter will be published in a few days.

Vote, comment, continue reading.

Thanks for all for the support and love so far! Stay safe xx

- T.J Starc